Old 29-08-2005, 11:47 PM

Default pawpaw trees

How long does it take for pawpaw seedling to begin bearing fruit? They
grow so slowly.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Old 30-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
.net...
How long does it take for pawpaw seedling to begin bearing fruit? They
grow so slowly.

I have a bunch of pawpaws in the wooded area of my lot. They are from
suckers, not seeds - in my case. The smaller ones don't even bloom. A few
of the older trees flower but only set a small amount of fruit, say 10%. It
is my understanding that in order to bear fruit, they have to be pollinated
from a tree that is not a genetic clone. Therefore, they are not
self-pollinating nor could they be pollinated by the genitally identical
trees that result from suckers. In all, I only see a handful of fruit in
any year and the wildlife always gets 99% of that. Its hard to understand
how anyone could make this a commercial crop.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Sterling

I have two trees that I bought from a nature center dedicated to
preserving native species. They are supposed to be able to cross
pollinate. I planted them about 5 years ago and one is about 5' tall and
the other - in a bit more sun - about 7 feet tall. Both are very full
with really big leaves. I have never seen blooms, yet alone fruit...

Vox Humana wrote:
.net...

Old 02-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Vox Humana

"Sterling" wrote in message
I have two trees that I bought from a nature center dedicated to
preserving native species. They are supposed to be able to cross
pollinate. I planted them about 5 years ago and one is about 5' tall and
the other - in a bit more sun - about 7 feet tall. Both are very full
with really big leaves. I have never seen blooms, yet alone fruit...

They sound a bit small. The ones that small on my property don't bloom.
When the larger trees bloom, it is very early in the spring. The blooms are
almost black and not very conspicuous.