Old 31-08-2005, 01:36 AM
HH

Default Transplant now?

I am wondering whether I dare do some transplanting now, or should I wait
until autumn? I live in the California Central Valley. The high temperatures
are in the mid-90s now, with cool nights. If I am careful and leave good,
compact soil around the roots, would I be safe in transplanting some
perenials now? If so, should I cut them back substantially before digging
them up?

Harlan

Old 31-08-2005, 10:34 PM
mleblanca

HH wrote:
I am wondering whether I dare do some transplanting now, or should I wait
until autumn? I live in the California Central Valley. The high temperatures
are in the mid-90s now, with cool nights. If I am careful and leave good,
compact soil around the roots, would I be safe in transplanting some
perenials now? If so, should I cut them back substantially before digging
them up?

Harlan

Harlan
I am also in the Central Valley (Northern)
It would be better to wait if possible, but sometimes things must be
moved now.
I've moved daylilies, and a rose recently.

Water the plant in the morning. Dig the new planting hole before the
move, and fill it with water.
I dig the plant in the early evening, so that it will have all night in
the cool air to adjust. Yes, get as large a root ball as you can. Get
the plant into the new location quickly.
Fill in with soil, firm down and water well
Cover the root area with a mulch.
Have something ready to provide shade during the day. (large piece of
cardboard supported at an angle for example) Remember the sun moves, so
check to be sure the shade is still over the plant.
I cut back some, but try to leave the more substantial stems. You can
always cut back more if needed.
Sometimes a plant will wilt during the heat, due to the loss of roots.
If the soil is still moist, do not add more water. The plant will
likely revive in the cool of the evening, and more water will just
promote root rot.

If you have several of one species of plant, I would do one plant and
see how it does before digging them all. You can also temporarily put
the plants in pots in a shady spot until cooler days.
Good luck
Emilie

Old 07-09-2005, 05:57 AM
HH

Thanks so much for those excellent suggestions.

Harlan

"mleblanca" wrote in message
oups.com...

HH wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

transplant rose bush now? Jean S. Barto Roses 4 19-08-2004 04:05 PM
Can I transplant trees now? Vox Humana Gardening 11 27-07-2004 05:30 AM
Emergency transplant of bulbs Robert Gray Gardening 8 09-03-2003 02:44 PM
can i transplant? tony United Kingdom 4 10-12-2002 08:07 PM
Transplant a flowering plant sevendwarfs United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 09:10 PM