Old 31-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Bryan

Default Rodents in my apple tree?

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Old 31-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Charles

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:08:15 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Had them in mine. Cats and/or poison.
Old 31-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Stubby

I actually saw one of those *&%(*%&$ squirrels leaving with an apple in
its mouth. A few years ago I saw a woodchuck in the apple tree.

Old 31-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Bludrgntatoo

Bryan wrote:
Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Most likely a rat,but it could also be raccoon or opossum have 'em in my
apple trees. The rats can climb and jump like you wouldn't believe. Heck
give 'em a little Trader Vic's umbrella and they can walk upright on the
phone lines.You can place poison out at night as they are nocturnal, but
you'll have to remove it before daylight unless you also want the
squirrels gone as well. I have so many apples on my trees that I don't
mind letting the squirrels have a few, besides it's amusing to try and
watch them carry a Granny Smith twice the size of their head along the
top of my fence and climb up the telephone pole in the corner of the
yard. Keeps the dog amused as well.
(As a side note saw a teaser on the SF news about a rat infestation in
the north bay)

Zone 9
Campbell, CA
Old 31-08-2005, 07:23 PM
paghat

In article , "Bryan"
wrote:

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Many years ago in Seattle, I looked out my apartment window into a cherry
tree, & there was a family or rats sitting in a row on their haunches
eating cherries, their naked tales hanging down. They were so cute.
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 31-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Peter Jason

news
wrote:

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't
hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Had them in mine. Cats and/or poison.

Strychnine is good.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:43 AM
Bryan

"Peter Jason" wrote in message

news
wrote:

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't
hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Had them in mine. Cats and/or poison.

Strychnine is good.

We have cats and dogs that can access our backyard.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Bryan

"Bludrgntatoo" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:
[...]

I saw the teaser, too; right after I posted my question! Didn't get to
watch it though.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:09 AM
Peter Jason

"Bryan" wrote in message

"Peter Jason" wrote in message

news
wrote:

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I
figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird.
I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't
hop.
It ran from one limb to another.
So, what's my likely pest?
Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not
surprised, just didn't know.
Suburban location Sonoma County.
Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Had them in mine. Cats and/or poison.

Strychnine is good.

We have cats and dogs that can access our backyard.

Why not use a possum trap. We catch lots of possums (and cats) with apples
as bait.
Then we let the cats go.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Peter Jason

Strychnine is good.

We have cats and dogs that can access our backyard.

Why not use a possum trap. We catch lots of possums (and cats) with
apples as bait.
Then we let the cats go.

A possum trap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.marsupialsociety.org/imag...rap_1_copy.jpg