Old 14-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Henry

Default non-flowering vine or hedge fence coverupadvice needed

I know similar questions have been asked before so I apologize if this is a
repeat but I believe this question is a little different. We plan on fencing
in our yard this year with a 5 or 6 ft chain-link fence of the kind that has
green vinyl on it. We are trying to find out if there is a non-flowering
vine that could be planted that could provide a dense cover for the fence to
provide more privacy and to hide it to make it look like a more natural
background. The reason for the non-flowering part is while bees are welcome
in our garden and our flowerbed we would like to not have them attracted
all over.
Failing that we are looking for a fast growing hedge that would require
minimum trimming on the sides and only trimming on the top to maintain
height. We found an ideal candidate in a Miller Nurseries catalog we
received that went by the name of "Tallhedge" but it was already listed as
Sold Out and we have not been able to find another source for it. We
E-mailed Miller but got no reply (maybe to early?).
Any and all suggestions on the above items (along with sources) would be
greatly appreciated. BTW-the reason we are going the green chain link rout
is it is cheaper than a wood fence,easier to install and maintain (no
painting),and it can be placed just about to the property line as you don't
have to get around to paint it. We live in Central NY so we are in Zone 5.

Henry