Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Me too.

Default Weeping Maple tree?

Hi all, I have a 15' - 20' tall 10" - 12" diameter trunk maple tree in my
yard and it's oozing dripping sap all over the place. I looked at the bark
and can see no splits or anything, seems to be just oozing out. We've had a
very wet, cold fall/winter here in west central NJ zone 6 I think. Not sure
what type of maple it is but it is, during summer, a very full healthy tree
with fairly large green leaves.

What's going on?

Thanks...

Old 17-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Me too. said:

Hi all, I have a 15' - 20' tall 10" - 12" diameter trunk maple tree in my
yard and it's oozing dripping sap all over the place. I looked at the bark
and can see no splits or anything, seems to be just oozing out. We've had a
very wet, cold fall/winter here in west central NJ zone 6 I think. Not sure
what type of maple it is but it is, during summer, a very full healthy tree
with fairly large green leaves.

What's going on?

Humans aren't the only ones that know how tastey maple sap can be.

With oozing on the main trunk, look for a series of shallow holes all in a line.
This is the work of a woodpecker (yellow bellied sap-sucker). They make these
sap wells on a variety of trees. Maples are the only ones likely to 'bleed'
profusely from them, though.

Dripping from the tips of branches? Critters of some sort may have snapped
the tips of the branches. Squirrels will sometimes do this and come back to
drink the sap or eat the sap-sicles on cold mornings. Squirrels will even
chew the bark on the top of maple branches to get sap.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Hildger, Germany

Due to my experience I believe you might also have a healthy tree
without any wounds caused by animals. Iīm living in Germany in the mid
of the Ruhr-Valley where we have lots of maple trees in the towns but
nearly no wild animals.

Unfortunately I have such a tree in front of my house and I have to
park my car underneath. Okay, in the summertime I have some shadow
from the tree, but it is not worth the plenty of syrup falling out of
the tree on the car. Also the parking place gets ugly, I have to clean
it with lot of water and very often.

I donīt know why nature has given this gift to the maples, but I guess
the syrup attracts insects for fertilizing the colorless blossoms.

If I only could have another sort of tree at my house spending
shadow, green and oxygen...

Hildger, Bochum/Germany