Old 03-04-2006, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Keith Corwell

Default Weeping Willow Tree Questions

Hi all
I am thinking about planting a Weeping Willow Tree. But I have heard not to
plant them close to septic or water lines. Can anybody give me any info ?

Old 03-04-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

They will invade the joints of a pipe in search of moisture. I'd be
carefull to keep them away about 1.5x their mature height.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Keith Corwell

Thanks
So if the tree grows to 30 feet keep it 45 feet from water and septic ?
oups.com...

Old 04-04-2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Keith Corwell wrote:
Hi all
I am thinking about planting a Weeping Willow Tree. But I have heard not to
plant them close to septic or water lines. Can anybody give me any info ?

============
Look into Golden Willows - from what I hear the roots are not supposed
to be that invasive. Our village tree program has them available to
plant on your property, including the parkways. I can't see them
allowing that if the roots were that invasive???

Old 05-04-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
CHEX

Oh yes, that weeping willow will just reach out and reach out for moisture
until it clogs up your septic/leach field completely. Plant it far far
away. I love looking at them....in someone else's yard

Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Judy Scott

I didn't see the beginning of this thread, but we have 2 huge weeping
willows that keep our house from flooding. We live on the side of a hill
below a cultivated field and when it rains hard, we need those trees.
When we had another tree removed, the tree guy told me they can suck up
to 1000 gallons a day. So they can serve a purpose. The real down side
is that they are trashy trees. There is a lot of cleanup to willow trees.