Old 17-03-2003, 03:56 AM
TakeThisOut

Default Hibiscus seeds

We got a break today the temps went almost up to 70. I Was cleaning out winter
debris from the yard, and snapping off old perennial branches & plants (Now
that I know exactly where they all are) before new growth starts...

On my Hibiscus were some seed pods, so I discected them for the seeds and
tossed them into a glass of water. When they sink, they're ready to plant
right? How long should that take? (I'll start them indoors in cellpacks then
transplant when safe, around May 15th) And how large of a plant should I expect
to get from a seed in 1 growing season?

Thanks in Advance!

PS No activity on those elephant ears yet - 1 week in the pot so far.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 19-03-2003, 06:20 AM
B & J

"TakeThisOut" wrote in message
We got a break today the temps went almost up to 70. I Was cleaning out

winter
debris from the yard, and snapping off old perennial branches & plants

(Now
that I know exactly where they all are) before new growth starts...

On my Hibiscus were some seed pods, so I discected them for the seeds and
tossed them into a glass of water. When they sink, they're ready to plant
right? How long should that take? (I'll start them indoors in cellpacks

then
transplant when safe, around May 15th) And how large of a plant should I

expect
to get from a seed in 1 growing season?

Thanks in Advance!

Hardy hibiscus do well when sown outside directly into the soil. Most of
them will bloom the second year, and some will bloom the first, depending
upon your zone. (I'm in zone 6.) I have found that a pink hibiscus (Disco
Belle) has many seedlings coming up around it that bloom the first year if I
don't deadhead or pull them as they sprout.

John

Old 20-03-2003, 03:44 PM
TakeThisOut

[...]

Thanks, I planted then 1 day ago when they began to sink. The remaining seeds
I'll toss outside here and there just to see what happens.

..
..
..
..