Old 09-09-2008, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seeds from Blue Hibiscus

My two plants make a lot of seeds after blooming. I gathered and
planted them, but nothing came up.
Is this normal? IOW, can I grow new plants from seed?

Tx for your wisdom.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 8, 4:46 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
My two plants make a lot of seeds after blooming. I gathered and
planted them, but nothing came up.
Is this normal? IOW, can I grow new plants from seed?

Tx for your wisdom.

You might try scarification: rub the seed with a file or emery board
to break the hard seed coat and allow water to penetrate.
Emilie
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
Artful Dodger writes
My two plants make a lot of seeds after blooming. I gathered and
planted them, but nothing came up.
Is this normal? IOW, can I grow new plants from seed?

Tx for your wisdom.

I probably can't assist, but it would help others if you were to clarify
whether Blue Hibiscus meant

Alyogyne huegelii
Hibiscus syriacus 'Oiseau Bleu' or similar
a 'blue' tropical hibiscus cultivar, e.g. 'Blue Bayou'
or ...
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 9, 5:51 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Artful Dodger writes

My two plants make a lot of seeds after blooming. I gathered and
planted them, but nothing came up.
Is this normal? IOW, can I grow new plants from seed?

Tx for your wisdom.

I probably can't assist, but it would help others if you were to clarify
whether Blue Hibiscus meant

Alyogyne huegelii
Hibiscus syriacus 'Oiseau Bleu' or similar
a 'blue' tropical hibiscus cultivar, e.g. 'Blue Bayou'
or ...
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks to Mleblanca and Stewart.

Plant is Alyogyne huegelii

Seems like a nuisance to rough up those small seeds, but if that's
what it takes...

Could I just hit them with something hard to crack the coat?nnDon't
laugh...if that will do the trick...

Has anyone actually GROWN Alyogyne from seed? If not, then how? I'd
think commercial
growers must be able to do it...?

TIA

Tx