Old 19-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Dulcey

Default Can you identify this plant?

I was given this plant to put in my yard but I don't know what it is. The
folks who gave it to me (my folks) didn't know what it was either. All my
Dad could say was that it's an evergreen. I want to make sure I plant it
correctly and in the right kind of sunlight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-18-05013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-18-05012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-18-05011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-18-05010.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Dulcey

don't mind the messy garage...too many projects, so little time

--
Remember all you love
On Earth and not on Earth

Old 19-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Paulo Castello da Costa

Dulcey wrote:

I was given this plant to put in my yard but I don't know what it is. The
folks who gave it to me (my folks) didn't know what it was either. All my
Dad could say was that it's an evergreen. I want to make sure I plant it
correctly and in the right kind of sunlight.

It's a Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla). It would be useful
to know where you live, it won't survive outside in a cold climate.

Paulo
Old 19-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Dulcey

It's a Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla). It would be useful to
know where you live, it won't survive outside in a cold climate.

Paulo

Paulo,

Thank you very much. I'm so glad I asked because I live in Indiana and it
would have died. I guess I should be shopping for a larger pot.

Dulcey

Old 19-09-2005, 03:40 PM
ncstockguy

Norfolk pines are great indoor plants if you have the room for them.
They are fairly slow growers but don't demand much. A little filtered
sunlight and occasional water and our do just fine. But they are
essentially tropicals so they only work outside if you are way south.

Old 19-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Paulo Castello da Costa

(About Norfolk Island pines)

K. Kly wrote:
They are also poisenous so whatever you do, don't touch them.

I grew up around them (big ones), and I would be dead if that were true.
They are just a regular conifer (and in the same genus as edible nut
producing species).

A quick search online turns up Norfolk Island Pine in a list of
*non*-toxic plants:

http://www.rosefloral.com/poison.htm

Paulo

Old 19-09-2005, 09:30 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus......." wrote:

Absolute nonsense, KKK.

Not necessarily. Krazy Kly said they were POISEnous, meaning well-poised.
-paghat the ratgirl

"K. Kly" wrote in message
They are also poisenous so whatever you do, don't touch them.

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Norfolk pines are great indoor plants if you have the room for them.
They are fairly slow growers but don't demand much. A little filtered
sunlight and occasional water and our do just fine. But they are
essentially tropicals so they only work outside if you are way south.

--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 19-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Dulcey

Thank you everyone for the information. I searched and searched under
evergreens to find out the name of this tree. It was an arrangement from my
Grandmother's funeral so I wanted to make sure I didn't kill it. If I would
have planted it, it would have been dead within a month.

Thanks again,
Dulcey

Old 20-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Cereus-validus.......

You mean that KKK is another Noel Coward and we didn't see it?

Golly, that British humor is just too subtle for my taste.

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 20-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Norfolk pines

"We don't drink! we don't smoke! Norfolk! Norfolk! Norfolk!".

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 20-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Cereus-validus.......

That's Norfolk Island, east of New Zealand not Norfolk, Virginia, home of
the Norfolk virgins.

Old 24-09-2005, 03:41 AM
ncstockguy

they are absolutely NOT poisonous. you must have norfolk pines mixed up
with something else.