Old 19-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Mikey

Default Can anyone identify this grass?

Fairly distinctive, but I can't see it in any of my books/mags...

http://static.flickr.com/26/44748638_863916dcb9_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/26/44748638_863916dcb9_o.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Old 19-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Bill

In article .com,
says...
Fairly distinctive, but I can't see it in any of my books/mags...

http://static.flickr.com/26/44748638_863916dcb9_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/26/44748638_863916dcb9_o.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

As someone pointed out to me earliar, it's nutsedge. A nasty weed.
Kill it quick before it spreads. Make sure you dig up every bit of root
or it will be back.

Bill
Old 20-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Mikey

As someone pointed out to me earliar, it's nutsedge. A nasty weed.
Kill it quick before it spreads. Make sure you dig up every bit of root
or it will be back.

Bill

I did think it was a Cyperus or Papyrus variety ... not sure its the
nutsedge though ...

Also I realised that the second link which should have linked to a
close up of the seedhead, was just a copy of the first...doh!

Should have been ...

http://static.flickr.com/30/44748610_4a0a9334dc_o.jpg

Comparing these with pictures of yellow or purple nutsedge Cyperus
Esculentus or Cyperus Rotundus reveal that the seedheads don't quite
match up...

Any more ideas?

It grows about 18-24'' high, was bought as a specific variety here in
UK with a latin name as long as your arm (subsequently lost, hence the
post) & yes it does self seed pretty freely so could be invasive ....
eek!

Thanks

Old 21-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Mikey said:
Also I realised that the second link which should have linked to a
close up of the seedhead, was just a copy of the first...doh!

Should have been ...

http://static.flickr.com/30/44748610_4a0a9334dc_o.jpg

Comparing these with pictures of yellow or purple nutsedge Cyperus
Esculentus or Cyperus Rotundus reveal that the seedheads don't quite
match up...

Any more ideas?

I'm pretty sure it's a Cyperus spp. (based on my identificaton guide).

But one website I cruised through said, "The genus Cyperus is immediately
recognizable, but determination to species often requires minute dissection
to examine the mature achenes."

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 21-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Mikey

....thats what I'm finding...according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyperus, about 600 species ...groan!

Old 22-09-2005, 06:15 PM
raycruzer

You may find the Virginia Tech Grass Weed key useful, as well as the
Purdue University Turfgrass Identification Tool. The University of
California also posts the UC Guide to Healthy Lawns identification key
to weeds in turfgrass. BASF also provides a Weed ID Guide for Grassy
Weeds. You can find links to these and other online plant ID databases
on Ergonica World of Weeds EWIRM.

_______
EWIRM: One good weed deserves another.