Old 20-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Mikey

Default Can anyone identify this grass?

Apologies for cross posting this question (I already asked on
rec.gardens) but thought this would be a more 'local' group...

Fairly distinctive, but I can't see it in any of my books/mags...

http://static.flickr.com/26/44748638_863916dcb9_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/30/44748610_4a0a9334dc_o.jpg

Had one suggestion it was a nutsedge & to destroy it immediately as it
was invasive, but it doesn't really match up

My three favourites thus far a
Cyperus Croceus
Cyperus Strigosus
Cyperus Polystachyos

But they just don't quite look the same either...

Any more ideas?

It grows about 18-24'' high, was bought as a specific variety here in
UK (@ Tatton last year I think) with a latin name as long as your arm
(subsequently lost the label, hence the post) & yes it does self seed
pretty freely so could be invasive ....
eek!

Thanks

Old 20-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Steve

"Mikey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Apologies for cross posting this question (I already asked on
rec.gardens) but thought this would be a more 'local' group...

Fairly distinctive, but I can't see it in any of my books/mags...

http://static.flickr.com/26/44748638_863916dcb9_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/30/44748610_4a0a9334dc_o.jpg

Had one suggestion it was a nutsedge & to destroy it immediately as it
was invasive, but it doesn't really match up

My three favourites thus far a
Cyperus Croceus
Cyperus Strigosus
Cyperus Polystachyos

But they just don't quite look the same either...

Any more ideas?

Looks like Yellow Nutsedge. Do not let it seed.

Old 21-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Mikey

Yes it does look a bit like it, but not exactly the same as pics such
as those on here
http://www.missouriplants.com/GSR/Cy...ntus_page.html

or here http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31765/

Old 23-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Chris Hogg

On 20 Sep 2005 10:48:21 -0700, "Mikey" wrote:

[...]

Try cyperus eragrostis, aka c. vegetus, pale galingale.

--
Chris

Old 29-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Mikey