Old 22-09-2005, 03:59 PM
angel toledo

Default How do I kill soil?

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

Old 22-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Doug Kanter

"angel toledo" wrote in message
I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

Why, and for how long?

Old 22-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Paulo Castello da Costa

angel toledo wrote:
I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. [...]

You could use a "weed barrier cloth". It would be buried just under the
surface and prevent weeds from breaking through or getting established
if they grow above. You could cover it with something else (bark mulch,
gravel) instead of just "dirt".

[...] I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

I don't think mixing salt into the soil will work unless you live in a
desert area. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the rain is going to wash
the salt away.

Paulo
Old 22-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Travis

angel toledo wrote:
I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are
trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to
remain. No grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up
with
any tarp or plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've
read
products such as Roundup can kill what's there, but are
uneffective
after a week. Someone told me to mix salt into the soil. Will
this
work? Also, what kind of salt is best for this: table salt?
rock
salt?

Thanks in advance.

Salt of the Earth would be good.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 22-09-2005, 07:02 PM
angel toledo

Doug Kanter wrote:
"angel toledo" wrote in message

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

Why, and for how long?

Between 2 sheds there is a 1 foot wide space (approx.) Lengthwise there
is about 5 feet of soil overgrowing with weeds. Tearing the weeds out is
easy. But they come back. The weed killers I've used don't seem to work
for too long. If you know of any that will keep the area clear at least
for a few months, please tell me.

Old 22-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Kill the weeds and cover with landscape fabric. Cover the fabric with
stones. Endlessly spraying poison is irresponsible, and as you've found out,
pointless.

Old 22-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Turd Burglar

The easiest, cheapest and most effective way is to pee on it on a daily
basis. I know this sounds kind of gross, but it really works.

angel toledo

Old 22-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Jennifer

Paulo Castello da Costa wrote:
angel toledo wrote:
I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. [...]

You could use a "weed barrier cloth". It would be buried just under the
surface and prevent weeds from breaking through or getting established
if they grow above. You could cover it with something else (bark mulch,
gravel) instead of just "dirt".

That's what I did for the foot or so of land between my shed and my
neighbor's fence. If it were visible, I'd cover it with mulch, but
it's not

--
Jennifer

Old 23-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Phisherman

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:59:37 GMT, angel toledo
wrote:

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious--why would you want the area to remain as "dirt?" You
could torch the area. Any method will require re-applications. Maybe
you really want a concrete slab?
Old 23-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Aspasia

wrote:

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious--why would you want the area to remain as "dirt?" You
could torch the area. Any method will require re-applications. Maybe
you really want a concrete slab?

You could cover the area with plastic and let the sun "sterilize" it.

May take some time.

--

Persephone.

Old 24-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No
grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone
told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of
salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious--why would you want the area to remain as "dirt?" You
could torch the area. Any method will require re-applications. Maybe
you really want a concrete slab?

You could cover the area with plastic and let the sun "sterilize" it.

May take some time.

Ever heard the saying "Nature abhors a vacuum"? Something will find the
empty spot delightful to grow in. It'll probably take more work to kill the
"something" repeatedly than it will to go to a real garden store, buy some
top-quality landscape fabric and bags of stones, open 2 beers, and install
the barrier & stones.

Old 27-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Salty Thumb

angel toledo wrote in
:

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to
achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain.
No grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or
plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as
Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week.
Someone told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what
kind of salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

How to Kill Soil - You must stab the soil 69 times with a Salty Thumb from
a Salty Troll harvested with a silver dibble which has been cleansed with
69 moonbeams from the light of a blue moon on the shores of a Great Salt
Lake.

Afterwards, the soil may still be able to grow stuff, but at least it will
no longer be able to get up, walk around and terrorize the neighborhood.