Old 23-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Irises and Daylilies

I have a patch of daylilies around my mailbox. I need to divide them
and thin them out because they aren't producing many flowers, though
they have beautiful, rich, green leaves. Is fall the right time of year
to divide daylilies?

I found a collection of iris called Tiger Iris that is gorgeous and I
think it would set off the day lilies well. As the iris fade, the
daylilies, hopefully, will continue to bloom. So I was thinking about
adding a few iris with the daylilies...leaving space for both to
spread. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Do these two
plants not make good companion plants?

Thanks for your help!
Shari

Old 23-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a patch of daylilies around my mailbox. I need to divide them
and thin them out because they aren't producing many flowers, though
they have beautiful, rich, green leaves. Is fall the right time of year
to divide daylilies?

I found a collection of iris called Tiger Iris that is gorgeous and I
think it would set off the day lilies well. As the iris fade, the
daylilies, hopefully, will continue to bloom. So I was thinking about
adding a few iris with the daylilies...leaving space for both to
spread. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Do these two
plants not make good companion plants?

Thanks for your help!
Shari

Don't know about the irises, but this *is* a good time to divide daylillies.
Their roots are like iron. Best method is to dig up the whole clump (of each
plant), and put two pitch forks into the center, back to back (convex edges
toward each other). Then, pull in opposite directions. Easier if you water
thoroughly the day before.

Old 23-09-2005, 11:07 PM
madgardener

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a patch of daylilies around my mailbox. I need to divide them
and thin them out because they aren't producing many flowers, though
they have beautiful, rich, green leaves. Is fall the right time of year
to divide daylilies?

absolutely. I'd say lift them all, ammend the soil around the mailbox and
plant the largest clumps after you divide them. If you pull them apart too
much, you won't have flowers for three years.

I found a collection of iris called Tiger Iris that is gorgeous and I
think it would set off the day lilies well. As the iris fade, the
daylilies, hopefully, will continue to bloom. So I was thinking about
adding a few iris with the daylilies...leaving space for both to
spread. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

None, are you talking about Eye of the Tiger Dutch irises? they are a bulb
type iris. I'd be more inclined to plant Siberian irises with the daylilies.
And did you know that there are reblooming daylilies? (besides Stella D'Oro
I mean) try looking at www.oakesdaylilies.com and see what I am talking
about. And boy what HUGE rhizomes of daylilies for the price!
Do these two
plants not make good companion plants?

yes, but I'd try for Siberian irises or maybe a tall Phlox that will bloom
all late spring and summer into the fall.........but yes, the Eye of the
Tiger would look good. Rule of thumb: in planting the bulb of the iris, only
plant it three times the depth of the size of the bulb. On the daylilies,
plant them an inch below soil level.......
madgardener. up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Thanks for your help!
Shari