Old 05-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Anonny Moose

"angelpet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ladybugs: helpful, sometimes pesky

October 2, 2005

By Madeline Bodin

Who loves a ladybug? Until recently, everyone did. These tiny beetles
gobble aphids and other soft-bodied insects that plague crops and
ornamental plants.

Ladybug infestations are only to be outdone by boxelder bug invasions and we
had them both at the same time every fall. When the ladybugs got into the
house they communed in a tight wad at the very peak of our vaulted ceiling,
a harmless but unsightly writhing mass that was impossible to remove.
Keeping screens tight and doors shut was the best defense but they still got
in by clinging to our clothing as we had to negotiate the flying swarms to
walk to the house. The garage attic became a graveyard for both critters as
they found their way in but never got out. We swept out thousands. Even
without squishing them they left stains on the windowsills and woodwork that
was difficult to remove. I will not soon forget the sight of the redwood
trees coming alive as millions of boxelder bugs burrowed and crawled through
cracks in the bark.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 PM
angelpet

Well, MY ladybugs don't stay in the attic, we checked last year. They
definately like human company in my house, they are particularily fond
of our screen doors and kitchen windows. They also my livingroom
windows and familyroom windows, and they LOVE hanging out in the
bathrooms. The only windows and rooms they dont like are my master
bedroom (THANK GOD), and the computer room (THANK GOD). Like I said in
an earlier post, I plan on plasticing my windows after Thanksgiving.
Hopefully it is not as bad this year as last year, I vacuumed twice a
day everyday for six months no exageration(sp?).

Old 05-10-2005, 09:18 PM
angelpet

BTW, Boxelder Bug sounds scary.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Ron H

Well here is what I did and it seems to have worked!

Put about a cup of liquid Tide in the hose end sprayer and add 1 tbl spoon
of liquid Diazinon concentrate. Spray the house! concentrate on the windows,
doors, and the foundation... I believe that the soap sticks to the surface
and the bugs and when they try to clean it off.....

Had the south and west walls covered with Boxelder bugs AND Asian Ladybugs
.... gone but for a few no and then! At one point they were about 1/2 deep on
the ground by the foundation!

BTW: I think that the Asian Ladybug has given a bad name to the original
native Ladybug that we used to add to the garden for pest control...they are
NOT the same!!!

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin!

"angelpet" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW, Boxelder Bug sounds scary.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old 06-10-2005, 01:51 AM
LAH

I'm definitely going to give this a try. "Here ladybug, ladybug, ladybug."
she says in a deceptively sweet manner all the while sporting an evil smile.

"Ron H" wrote in message
Well here is what I did and it seems to have worked!

Put about a cup of liquid Tide in the hose end sprayer and add 1 tbl spoon
of liquid Diazinon concentrate. Spray the house! concentrate on the

windows,
doors, and the foundation... I believe that the soap sticks to the surface
and the bugs and when they try to clean it off.....

Had the south and west walls covered with Boxelder bugs AND Asian Ladybugs
... gone but for a few no and then! At one point they were about 1/2 deep

on
the ground by the foundation!

BTW: I think that the Asian Ladybug has given a bad name to the original
native Ladybug that we used to add to the garden for pest control...they

are
NOT the same!!!

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin!

oups.com...

Old 23-10-2005, 04:21 AM
angelpet

Default ladybug invasion begins...(article)

Strange.....one month into my annual ladybug infestation and I have had
only a few inside my home. I found a couple inside my son's mouth ( I
guess he was REALLY hungry or something because I thought they were
supposed to taste bad. LOL), but really I am quite pleased as I have
had no problems so far this season. When I open my screen door there
are maybe ten of them huddled together within the casing but they are
inactive. What could have happened? I don't know if these things are
related or not but my trees did not turn red this year either. Most of
the leaves (maple) are a greeny-yellow at best and most are still in
tact.....

Old 23-10-2005, 02:35 PM

population crash. there was a thriving aphid population that wasnt being dented well
by our little red LB and the new LB went to town. I dont see "honey" or ants on my
peonies anymore, I guess the aphids are just background now. so without their prime
source of food the new LB crashed too. Ingrid

"angelpet" wrote:

Strange.....one month into my annual ladybug infestation and I have had
only a few inside my home. I found a couple inside my son's mouth ( I
guess he was REALLY hungry or something because I thought they were
supposed to taste bad. LOL), but really I am quite pleased as I have
had no problems so far this season. When I open my screen door there
are maybe ten of them huddled together within the casing but they are
inactive. What could have happened? I don't know if these things are
related or not but my trees did not turn red this year either. Most of
the leaves (maple) are a greeny-yellow at best and most are still in
tact.....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE