Old 08-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Jenny

Default Air Conditioner Fell on the Azalea!

Yup. SO was attempting to take out the bedroom A/C and dropped it out
the window, right on top of my foundation planting rosebud azalea.

It broke off quite a few branches at the back of the plant, but seems to
have missed the center, though there is some scratching of the bark.

Is it time to buy a new one, or will the plant be able to grow new
branches with time?

--Jenny
Old 08-10-2005, 05:02 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
Jenny wrote:

Yup. SO was attempting to take out the bedroom A/C and dropped it out
the window, right on top of my foundation planting rosebud azalea.

It broke off quite a few branches at the back of the plant, but seems to
have missed the center, though there is some scratching of the bark.

Is it time to buy a new one, or will the plant be able to grow new
branches with time?

--Jenny

I'd replace it and be sure to move the new plant away from your house
a bit more. Don't destroy the damaged plant but place it in a nursery
for added attention AKA care. Use the damaged plant for layering
experiments a possibility.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208
Sam Adams-- "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds"
Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Warren

Jenny wrote:
Yup. SO was attempting to take out the bedroom A/C and dropped it out the
window, right on top of my foundation planting rosebud azalea.

It broke off quite a few branches at the back of the plant, but seems to
have missed the center, though there is some scratching of the bark.

Is it time to buy a new one, or will the plant be able to grow new
branches with time?

If less than 1/3 of the plant was damaged, it should recover okay. Of course
it won't flower next spring on the side that was damaged, but if that was
the back, that may not be a problem, either. It's going to be quite
lop-sided for many years to come. You can reduce the number of years by
pruning other sides (no more than 1/3 of the plant a year) each year to help
balance it out. The best time to prune is right after the flowering is done.
And the best tools to use are tools made for pruning, not air conditioners.

On the other hand, if you want to use this event as an excuse to replace the
plant, it sounds like as good of an excuse as any.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Shop for gifts for fans of "The Simpsons":
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/simpsons

Old 09-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Stephen Henning

Jenny wrote:

It broke off quite a few branches at the back of the plant, but seems to
have missed the center, though there is some scratching of the bark.

Is it time to buy a new one, or will the plant be able to grow new
branches with time?

I healthy plant will be able to come back quite well. You will loose
some flowers the first year. Since the height was not reduced and only
the back side which doesn't show was damaged, it isn't really a big deal.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6