Old 13-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Peter Jason

Default Problem with scion.

I bought a tree this spring from the local nursery and planted it according
to the instructions.

It is a Golden Ash.

It has been grafted to some rootstock.

Now the rootstock is shooting and the Golden Ash scion looks sick and
colourless and not even budding at all.

Is this normal?

Please help, Peter.

Old 13-10-2005, 07:40 AM
sherwindu

Hi Peter,
I'm not even sure why this Golden Ash was grafted in the first place, unless
you wanted a reduced size tree. I am only familiar with grafting of fruit trees
and I have not heard anything about grafting deciduous trees, but I suppose
there are special cases where this is advantageous. If you want some general
information on Golden Ash, try this site:
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/outr...0excelsior.pdf

It certainly does not seem normal. Have you talked to the nursery supplier about
this? I believe this tree is hearty to zone 5, so I hope you are not out of it's recommended
climate zone. Once a scion successfully attaches to a rootstock, it usually will survive, unless
it was attacked by some disease, or some environmental thing.

Sherwin D.

Old 13-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Peter Jason

Thank you for this information.
I happened to be at this nursery (actually it's a megamart with a plant
section) last night and I noticed all the remaining stock of Golden Ashes
were performing the same way.
I'll check this out at the local School of Horticulture.
Peter.

Old 19-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Peter Jason" in :

Thank you for this information.
I happened to be at this nursery (actually it's a megamart with a
plant section) last night and I noticed all the remaining stock of
Golden Ashes were performing the same way.

maybe the grower systematically goofed the whole batch.. grafted the wrong block or rows.. incompatible rootstock?

Old 19-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Travis

wrote:
"Peter Jason" in
:

Thank you for this information.
I happened to be at this nursery (actually it's a megamart
with a
plant section) last night and I noticed all the remaining
stock of
Golden Ashes were performing the same way.

maybe the grower systematically goofed the whole batch..
grafted
the wrong block or rows.. incompatible rootstock?

It is a Golden Ash.

It has been grafted to some rootstock.

Now the rootstock is shooting and the Golden Ash scion
looks
sick and colourless and not even budding at all.

This may be of some interest. http://www.scion.com/

;-)

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 20-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Peter Jason

" wrote in message
"Peter Jason" in :

Thank you for this information.
I happened to be at this nursery (actually it's a megamart with a
plant section) last night and I noticed all the remaining stock of
Golden Ashes were performing the same way.

maybe the grower systematically goofed the whole batch.. grafted the wrong
block or rows.. incompatible rootstock?

It is a Golden Ash.

It has been grafted to some rootstock.

Now the rootstock is shooting and the Golden Ash scion looks sick
and colourless and not even budding at all.

In the last week a few stems of the scion has shown a bit of growth.
Should I cut off all of the rootstock shoots?