Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Gravelle

Default Everest Azalea

We planted an Everest Azalea in late May/early June in a location where it
receives sun until about 3 pm on a summer day. It never did much over the
summer and it has some brown leaves. What should I be doing with it now
that we've had our first hard freeze? What about in the spring?

We live in Zone 5.

Thank you.

Carol Gravelle

Old 02-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Vox Humana

"Gravelle" wrote in message
m...
We planted an Everest Azalea in late May/early June in a location where it
receives sun until about 3 pm on a summer day. It never did much over the
summer and it has some brown leaves. What should I be doing with it now
that we've had our first hard freeze? What about in the spring?

We live in Zone 5.

According to the American Rhododendron Society, this plant is only hardy
o -5F. That would put in zone 6b. Zone 5 is from -10 to -20F. That means
that is will probably be rather short lived unless you can provide a
microclimate that helps push the zone.
http://www.rhododendron.org/descriptionAH_new.asp?ID=50
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hrdzon3.html

At this point, I would put down a good layer of mulch and make sure that it
is evenly moist over the winter. An antidessicant spray may be helpful. It
is suppose to be evergreen. Are the leaves really brown or are they
changing to a bronze color? My evergreen azaleas will turn dark in fall and
then green-up in the spring. If they turn brown and the leaves are brittle,
then they are dead.

[IMG] code is On

Backyard Azalea 3Putt in Coastal SC Garden Photos 0 01-04-2009 01:24 AM
Everest Azalea Gravelle Gardening 1 22-07-2006 01:44 PM
azalea papanix United Kingdom 6 19-11-2003 11:22 AM
azalea questions Tanya Gardening 6 11-02-2003 05:55 PM
[IBC] azalea basics Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 05:26 AM