Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Geraniums Over Winter

"Lee Smith" wrote in message
"Marilyn" wrote:
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside, but given the lack
of information about WHERE in Pennsylvania, that's all anyone can say.
In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and

planting zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on terrain,
proximity to water, etc.

South-central PA

Which part of the advice do you disagree with?

The part where you tell Marilyn it's highly unlikely geraniums would not
survive outside in a PA winter, of course. (the part you keep snipping)

If you'd like to get picky, we can do that. I'm referring to the typical
geraniums which are sold everywhere in the spring, already flowering. I have
gardened for 20 years in Rochester NY (zone 5 or 6, depending on luck,
technique, and microclimates). On one side of my house, I've dug up cannas
in the fall, missed one or two, and found that they'd survived horrendous
winters. Right next to them, geraniums have died, and this was with a 6"
layer of mulch.

For 10 years before that, I gardened in Long Island, which is more like her
climate. About half the geraniums made it through the winter.

So, if she has a plant she loves, would you recommend she take a chance and
leave it outside? You might want to consult this before continuing:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

She's "interestingly close" to a colder zone. In a weird winter, that could
spell trouble.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Ann

"Lee Smith" expounded:

The part where you tell Marilyn it's highly unlikely geraniums would not
survive outside in a PA winter, of course. (the part you keep snipping)

Geraniums survive outside just fine in my zone 6a garden. But I don't
think you're talking about geraniums.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 13-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Sue Burnham

Ann, you are so right.....

I have perennial geraniums too, right here in z5a, and they do right
nicely, all 6+ cultivars. Some of them even threaten to become "lawn
weeds".

It was of course " assumed" that the OP was speaking of Pelargoniums.
"Assume" on usenet and generally one gets called out briskly.

Thanks for being gentle.

Sue
Western Maine

"Lee Smith" expounded:

Old 13-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Doug Kanter

"Sue Burnham" wrote in message
Ann, you are so right.....

I have perennial geraniums too, right here in z5a, and they do right
nicely, all 6+ cultivars. Some of them even threaten to become "lawn
weeds".

It was of course " assumed" that the OP was speaking of Pelargoniums.
"Assume" on usenet and generally one gets called out briskly.

Of course it was assumed. She didn't specify otherwise, which made it fairly
safe to assume she meant pelargoniums, which is what's in every discount
store, garden center and supermarket in the country in spring. If she knew
enough to WANT one of the many other geraniums, she'd probably also own some
books, and she wouldn't have asked the question to begin with.

Old 14-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

"Sue Burnham" wrote in message
Ann, you are so right.....

I have perennial geraniums too, right here in z5a, and they do right
nicely, all 6+ cultivars. Some of them even threaten to become "lawn
weeds".

It was of course " assumed" that the OP was speaking of Pelargoniums.
"Assume" on usenet and generally one gets called out briskly.

Of course it was assumed. She didn't specify otherwise, which made it fairly
safe to assume she meant pelargoniums, which is what's in every discount
store, garden center and supermarket in the country in spring. If she knew
enough to WANT one of the many other geraniums, she'd probably also own some
books, and she wouldn't have asked the question to begin with.

The problem, Doug, is that you implied these plants ( Pelargoniums)
could be hardy outdoors in Pennsylvania - which is ridiculous unless
you've got them protected somehow by a very warm microclimate.
They'll turn to mush at the first frost. Geraniums, on the other
hand, are perfectly hardy.

Old 14-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

[...]

If you read *all* the messages from me, you will see that I clearly told her
not to risk it with the plants, unless she was prepared for sad results.
When I asked her about her location, it was because some zone maps indicate
reality: A plume of nastiness which exists through central NY and
Pennsylvania, although not all the way to PA's southernmost border. If
that's where she lives, she might get lucky with her plants 9 out of 10
years. But in an odd year, uh oh.....

Old 14-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

If you read *all* the messages from me, you will see that I clearly told her
not to risk it with the plants, unless she was prepared for sad results.
When I asked her about her location, it was because some zone maps indicate
reality: A plume of nastiness which exists through central NY and
Pennsylvania, although not all the way to PA's southernmost border. If
that's where she lives, she might get lucky with her plants 9 out of 10
years. But in an odd year, uh oh.....

I have the whole thread, with all of it's chills and thrills, right
here, read every message - and your advice was poorly worded at best.
I think 'Lee Smith' was having some subtle fun with the discrepancy.
Old 15-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

If you read *all* the messages from me, you will see that I clearly told
her
not to risk it with the plants, unless she was prepared for sad results.
When I asked her about her location, it was because some zone maps
indicate
reality: A plume of nastiness which exists through central NY and
Pennsylvania, although not all the way to PA's southernmost border. If
that's where she lives, she might get lucky with her plants 9 out of 10
years. But in an odd year, uh oh.....

I have the whole thread, with all of it's chills and thrills, right
here, read every message - and your advice was poorly worded at best.
I think 'Lee Smith' was having some subtle fun with the discrepancy.

Oh well. Gardening is 75% intuition, 15% wishful thinking/dreaming (like
fishing), and 10% science. It's good the OP left with a feeling of "Huh?"

Old 16-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Marilyn

Incredible thread on what I thought was a simple question. BTW The
geraniums were purchased from a library fund raising organization, been
buying a few every year for several years. Never tried to save any before,
just left them and pulled them up in the Spring. They were dried out, and
did appear to have any life. That said, they were on a porch with a roof
over so if I didn't water them, they dried out. We moved (about 3 miles)
this summer and I brought the potted plants with me. No longer under roof,
and now got to thinking about being a more proactive gardener at the new
house. Possibly saving 2005 geraniums and adding some in 2006 in a different
color when the library has its fund-raising sale. All 6 plants are now in
the house and I'm trying to decide which approach suggested, ie cutting back
now or not, etc. to do. Meanwhile, I have a new problem of sorts: all of a
sudden we have what looks like 100s of very tiny bugs on the window sill in
the morning. It's not too hard to get rid of them, but the next morning
there seems to be a new bunch -- not quite as many a the day before. They
sometimes fly but mostly just crawl around and initially I used a bug spray
on the sill but have found just a damp paper towel works almost as well.
Thanks again.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Old 16-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

2005 geraniums??? That a lot. Marilyn.....where are you going to put them
all? :-)

Old 16-11-2005, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Marilyn

!! OK. I think you understood, but just in case, here's a clarification: 6
geranium plants purchased in 2005. Also should have written "did not appear
to have any life" (not was omitted by mistake).
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
k.net...

Old 17-11-2005, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
nk.net...
!! OK. I think you understood, but just in case, here's a clarification: 6
geranium plants purchased in 2005. Also should have written "did not
appear to have any life" (not was omitted by mistake).

Yeah...I understood. I'm just keeping you on your toes. However, I did plant
300 impatiens one year. I expected a higher failure rate from the seeds. It
didn't happen, and I didn't have the heart to get rid of any. I planted
every one of them outdoors.