Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Will Renkel

Default Geraniums Over Winter

some years ago I kept one geranium in a pot over winter.
kept it alive...
no flowers but lots of leaves.
In spring I planted it in ground.
Over the winter it grew to about 18 inches high
Well, it sooon lost most of its leaves, but lots of new shoots came up.
By mid summer it wa 3 feet high and at one time had about 50 flowers on it.
I got old photograhs, but they are very faded so not on WEB.
So yes, it can be done.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
REGISTERD Linux User: 300583

Old 03-11-2005, 02:42 PM

I have just started an evening class and we have talked about Geraniums
over winter. They should be cut to 1 to 2" obove soil and pot them
together as this is better than small single pots against frosts.
(Don't forget we are told we are going to have one of the worst winters
in last 10 years.) Water once then leave them - do not keep watering
them.

In spring cuttings can be taken of these and start watering them. If
you are keeping them indoors it may be too warm for them to stop
growing, need the light so near a window and not too warm a spot.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Marilyn

Thanks to all the folks who responded to my question. There are lots of
similar ideas here and I'm sure I can adopt one or more to my situation.
Some may not be quite as appropriate to the region where I am but most are,
I think. I'm in Pennsylvania, so I suspect a potted plant would not survive
outside but I may be mistaken.--Marilyn
oups.com...

Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Doug Kanter

It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside, but given the lack of
information about WHERE in Pennsylvania, that's all anyone can say.

"Marilyn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks to all the folks who responded to my question. There are lots of
similar ideas here and I'm sure I can adopt one or more to my situation.
Some may not be quite as appropriate to the region where I am but most
are, I think. I'm in Pennsylvania, so I suspect a potted plant would not
survive outside but I may be mistaken.--Marilyn
oups.com...

Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Marilyn

South-central PA
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside, but given the lack of
information about WHERE in Pennsylvania, that's all anyone can say.

"Marilyn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks to all the folks who responded to my question. There are lots of
similar ideas here and I'm sure I can adopt one or more to my situation.
Some may not be quite as appropriate to the region where I am but most
are, I think. I'm in Pennsylvania, so I suspect a potted plant would not
survive outside but I may be mistaken.--Marilyn
oups.com...

Old 10-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
South-central PA

That would be iffy. If you'd be heartbroken to lose the plant, get it
inside.

By the way, here's a map of planting zones:
http://www.blossomswap.com/zone.html

In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and planting
zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on terrain, proximity to
water, etc.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Lee Smith

"Marilyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
South-central PA

That would be iffy. If you'd be heartbroken to lose the plant, get it
inside.

By the way, here's a map of planting zones:
http://www.blossomswap.com/zone.html

In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and
planting zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on terrain,
proximity to water, etc.

It's two zones. So tell me which zone of the two will allow geraniums to
overwinter outside?

Zone 5 - lows from -10 through -20 degrees

Zone 6- lows from 0 through - 10 degrees.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
South-central PA

That would be iffy. If you'd be heartbroken to lose the plant, get it
inside.

By the way, here's a map of planting zones:
http://www.blossomswap.com/zone.html

In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and
planting zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on terrain,
proximity to water, etc.

It's two zones. So tell me which zone of the two will allow geraniums to
overwinter outside?

Zone 5 - lows from -10 through -20 degrees

Zone 6- lows from 0 through - 10 degrees.

Actually, there are areas along the northern border near Western NY which
behave like zone 4, but you're not there so never mind. :-)

Neither one, unless you have absolute confidence in a certain area around
your house that's already a "mini-climate" of its own. For instance, you
might find that on the East side, near your foundation, certain things
survive which are not supposed to be hardy in your zone. I wouldn't risk it
with a prized plant, though.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Lee Smith

"Marilyn" wrote in message
[...]

So you were wrong when you first posted this advice?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
[...]

Not really. But, I'm interested in why you think so.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Lee Smith

"Marilyn" wrote in message
[...]

Not really.

I didn't expect you to admit it. (that's why you snipped your re-posted bad
advice)

But, I'm interested in why you think so.

"It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside in PA? We are talking
about a geranium, correct?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps I assumed too much about you.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Lee Smith

"Marilyn" wrote in message
[...]

Right. Never assume people won't recognize bad advice.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Doug Kanter

"Marilyn" wrote in message
[...]

Which part of the advice do you disagree with?

Old 11-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Lee Smith

"Marilyn" wrote:
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside, but given the lack
of information about WHERE in Pennsylvania, that's all anyone can say.
In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and

planting zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on terrain,
proximity to water, etc.

South-central PA

Which part of the advice do you disagree with?

The part where you tell Marilyn it's highly unlikely geraniums would not
survive outside in a PA winter, of course. (the part you keep snipping)