Old 05-11-2005, 09:01 PM

Default PLASE HELP! - Royal Palms with Hurricane Damage

Hi, I live in South Florida and I have several Royal Palms (about 10
feet high trunks) that were damaged by Hurricane Wilma about (2) weeks
ago. The trunk and roots were not damaged but I am most concerned about
the 2 trees that have no leaves remaining. Will they recover? Is
there anything that I can do to help them? These were beautiful trees!
Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Mike

Nitrogen is the fertilizer element that is supposed to add green, leafiness
(at the expense of fruit/flowers IMA). Fish emulsion and alfalfa are two
natural sources.

I have snowbird friends en route to the peninsula as I write.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Toni

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I live in South Florida and I have several Royal Palms (about 10
feet high trunks) that were damaged by Hurricane Wilma about (2) weeks
ago. The trunk and roots were not damaged but I am most concerned about
the 2 trees that have no leaves remaining. Will they recover? Is
there anything that I can do to help them? These were beautiful trees!
Any response will be greatly appreciated.

We all have scads of palms whose future is in question.
The only thing you can do is wait. If the tree has sufficient reserves it
will very soon push forth a new frond. If it was of questionable health to
begin with it may not recover.

I have not yet fed any hurricane stressed plants. I am watering on a regular
schedule and assuming temperatures stay high enough I will feed at the first
sign of new growth.

If any palms have remaining green fronds do not remove them- leave them on
until they brown completely. Palms translocate nutrients from old leaves
back into the tree, so any green frond is valuable. If the tree was stripped
of all its fronds, you can only wait.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered User

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

i am sorry to hear that u all had so much damage from that hurricane. my thoughts and prayers go out to all of u.
the one thing that i would do is just sit and wait like toni says.
above all do not fertilize your trees because it would only put them under furthur stress if u do. the best thing to do is to keep them well watered, try and catch some rainwater if u are able to so as to give them a more natural source of water.
i would wait at least a good month before i would start to fertilize your trees again or u might start with light fertilization if u notice really significant top growth otherwise just sit and wait thats all u can do.
good luck. sockiescat.