Old 14-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Andre Slivitzly

Default [IBC] information plase

can some one can tell my where i can found some information on the berberis thunbergii

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 14-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Iris Cohen

can some one can tell my where i can found some information on the berberis
thunbergii BRBR

Berberis thunbergii is the common Japanese barberry which grows all over this
country. A Web search with Google or some other search engine will tell you
everything you need to know. It can be grown as a bonsai.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Shelly Hurd

Andre,

My book say this species and its cultivars are the most widely planted barberries. Native to Japan. Low-growing deciduous shrub (almost evergreen in warmer climates). Small, bell-shaped flowers appear in mid spring, greenish yellow with dull red stripes
. I count 8 cultivars (listed in this single source). Zones 4-10.
Google search = about 11,300 hits (3 seconds), including this: http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...thunbergii.htm
This help?
Regards
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

can some one can tell my where i can found some information on the berberis thunbergii

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

can some one can tell my where i can found some information on the berberis thunbergii

Berberis is such an obvious choice for bonsai, because of its small leaves and enthusiastic budding-back, that I don't think it gets the appreciation it deserves. Maybe because of the spines. Anyway, I am a huge gigantic fan of B. thunbergii 'aurea'. It
has lovely golden foliage, beautiful flowers, nice warty bark, and in the fall the leaves turn an indescribably beautiful orange color. It suffers from few diseases (we won't mention cereal rust) or pests, and you can start with a very large plant and pr
une it down to a pretty decent bonsai. I would recommend it to all beginners.

Nina Shishkoff