Old 12-11-2005, 04:06 AM
nobodyhome1

Default Magnolia "tulip" tree question

I would love to plant one of those beautiful, I believe it's called Chinese
magnolia trees. The blossoms I'm looking for look like masses of tulips,
white inside and purple- pink outside. Can you help me? I live in Los
Angeles (near LAX) and see them all over the place, but trying to find one
in the nursery is tough. Went to a nursery today, no tags on the trees.
Can't tell what color blooms would be.

If you have one can you share your experience with them. I would like to put
one in the front yard.

Thanks for any help,
Miriam

Old 12-11-2005, 06:39 AM
presley

well it sounds like you're describing magnolia soulangeana. There are
several varieties which come in slightly different colors, but the basic
description you gave fits most of them. I suspect you'd be pleased with any
variety of this plant which your nursery carries. Sometimes they are called
saucer magnolias, sometimes tulip trees, and sometimes japanese magnolias.
Common varieties are Lennei, and Alexandrina.
et...

Old 12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Aspasia

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:39:17 -0800, "presley"
wrote:

well it sounds like you're describing magnolia soulangeana. There are
several varieties which come in slightly different colors, but the basic
description you gave fits most of them. I suspect you'd be pleased with any
variety of this plant which your nursery carries. Sometimes they are called
saucer magnolias, sometimes tulip trees, and sometimes japanese magnolias.
Common varieties are Lennei, and Alexandrina.

If nursery doesn't carry what you want, they can order it.

Persephone

. net...

Old 12-11-2005, 10:03 PM
ncstockguy

Sounds like you are talking about
Liriodendron tulipifera
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...r/tuliptre.htm

Old 13-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Tom J

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sounds like you are talking about
Liriodendron tulipifera

I believe the reference is to a tree/bush that grows 10 to 20 feet,
bushing almost to ground level, with the blooms on all limbs. They
bloom in the spring before they put out leaves. I'd go to a private
nursery instead of the big box store nursery. They'll know what they
have.

On the other hand, if it's about the 60 to 80 foot tall tulip popular
lumber tree, I would NOT have one on my property. Almost as messy as
mimosa!

Tom J
who has all the popular leaves and blooms I want blowing from 1/2
block away

Old 13-11-2005, 10:07 AM
presley

liriodendron blossoms are not pink and white - they are orange and
green.......

Old 13-11-2005, 08:33 PM
David Ross

presley wrote:

[...]

M. soulangeana actually grows as a large shrub. It can be pruned
to resemble a small tree, but that is not its natural habit of
growth.

Inland (e.g., San Fernando Valley), M. soulangeana needs some
protection from the summer sun. Where you live, that should not be
a problem.

Note that this is a deciduous shrub, going leafless in the winter.
Generally, it then blooms in the early spring, just before new
leaves appear. After blooming, it's still a nice looking plant.

If you want an evergreen magnolia that is a true tree and blooms in
the summer, try M. grandiflora. This is the classic southern
magnolia with white flowers that grows to 80 feet.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 29-11-2005, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
G Wolmershäuser

nobodyhome1 schrieb:
I would love to plant one of those beautiful, I believe it's called Chinese
magnolia trees. The blossoms I'm looking for look like masses of tulips,
white inside and purple- pink outside. Can you help me? I live in Los
Angeles (near LAX) and see them all over the place, but trying to find one
in the nursery is tough. Went to a nursery today, no tags on the trees.
Can't tell what color blooms would be.

Hello Miriam,
at your place, you don't have to stick to Magnolia x soulangeana. Look
for one of the newer M. campbellii hybrids from New Zealand or look for
the last generation Jury hybrids.
Best wishes
Gotthelf