Old 17-11-2005, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Default Low spots in your lawn

Every time my lawn gets watered about 80% of the water goes to one side in
the middle and is always water log while the rest of my lawn is dry and
dieing. Is there anything I can throw into the low spots like dirt or
something to level the lawn out?

Richard

Old 17-11-2005, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sonia Van Tassel

Our neighbors apply a thin layer of compost over their lawn once a year
and their lawn looks great. The compost works it way into the lawn
(which I don't think dirt will do as easily).

Old 18-11-2005, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Richard Miller wrote:
Every time my lawn gets watered about 80% of the water goes to
one
side in the middle and is always water log while the rest of my
lawn is dry and dieing. Is there anything I can throw into the
low
spots like dirt or something to level the lawn out?

Richard

Sounds like the ground is compacted. Aerate it and then spread a
thin layer of compost.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-11-2005, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Brown

There could be other causes of this, rather than a low spot. Perhaps
your soil that gets water logged is compacted or even clayey, while the
area that is dry and dying lacks structure to hold the water, as many
sandy soils won't hold water.

Assuming that a low spot is the problem, you can certainly rake in some
top soil to raise the level, but if you do too much at one time, you
will kill the grass. It would be better to lay down a quarter inch of
topsoil perhaps twice each year for 4 years than to lay down 2 inches
all at once.

Old 18-11-2005, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
.alice

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
Every time my lawn gets watered about 80% of the water goes to one side in
the middle and is always water log while the rest of my lawn is dry and
dieing. Is there anything I can throw into the low spots like dirt or
something to level the lawn out?

Richard

You could take off the top layer of sod, fill underneath with compost
almost to the level of the regular lawn and then reposition the sod..
That way you have it up to level all at once instead of building it up
slowly with top dressing..

alice

Old 19-11-2005, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'd use soil instead of compost as the soil has less of a chance of
subsidance over time.
As compost gets consumed the area would drop.