Old 23-11-2005, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
jils

Default climbing roses wedding arch in australia

in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a
floral arch of some sort, and someone has suggested a climbing rose, as
it grows fast and flowers all through summer/early autumn.

does anyone have any advice regarding this idea? i'd love to make a real
arch rather than a fake one, so i'm considering buying climbing roses
now and hoping they'll grow around an arch if i provide one!

am i dreaming, or is this a possibility?

thank you, garden people
Old 23-11-2005, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Ross

jils wrote:

in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a
floral arch of some sort, and someone has suggested a climbing rose, as
it grows fast and flowers all through summer/early autumn.

does anyone have any advice regarding this idea? i'd love to make a real
arch rather than a fake one, so i'm considering buying climbing roses
now and hoping they'll grow around an arch if i provide one!

am i dreaming, or is this a possibility?

thank you, garden people

You need two roses, one at each base of the arch. Unless you have
established climbers that are already sufficiently long and have
bloomed in the previous season, you are too late. To cover an arch
under which the bridal couple can walk can take 2-3 years.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

I think you'd be better off (more sure of success), with some sort of
tropical vine, often grown as annuals in cooler climates, that would take
off and grow several feet in one season. If it's a morning wedding, you
could grow morning glories, for instance. In 3 months, if the weather's
warm, they can grow 12 feet or more. You could also grow scarlet runner
beans - they will climb 8 feet or so after 3 months. Hyacinth bean and
asarina are other possibilities of this type which will grow 10-15 feet
under the right conditions. Mandevilla can be spectacular if it's warm
enough. On the other hand, if your climate is cool enough, you could even
grow sweet pea vines for this purpose.
u...

Old 23-11-2005, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
jils

thanks david. i did think of the two plants, one at each base, that part
hadn't escaped me!!!

by the way, i just looked over your web pages. love the pages on
apostrophes, proofreading, etc.
nicely written!

Old 23-11-2005, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jen

in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a
floral arch of some sort, and someone has suggested a climbing rose, as it
grows fast and flowers all through summer/early autumn.

Are you from Australia? Try aus.gardens, someone there might be able to
think of a plant suited to Oz climate.

Jen

Old 23-11-2005, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Brown

I have an arch of climbing roses, which is lovely but took at least two
years to get to the point where it started looking good. I have another
with clematis, but that also took quite a while to establish. On the
other hand, I grow some vegetables on vines and they grow very quickly,
but I don't see pumpkins or squash as being appropriate.

I would suggest you look for some annual vining flower that will grow
quickly in your area, and be in bloom at the proper time, although I
think if you had a nice arch of foliage, it would be fairly easy to wire
in almost any flower for the day of the ceremony, even roses. My
daughter in law had flowers braided into her hair for her wedding; they
looked really nice but I'm almost certain she didn't grow them there.

Old 23-11-2005, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
jils

thanks everyone for input. trying aus.gardens now, missed that one in my
search!

and thank you william for the giggle.