Old 03-12-2005, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.forestry

Default Growing your own Noble Fir Christmas Tree?

I heard Noble Firs are really expensive (up to $750!), so I'd like to
grow my own. I am in southern California. Do they grow OK here? Do they
need a lot of water or any special care? How long does it take to grow
them to 3', 4', 6', and 7' tall? I found a kit for sale online where
they ship you one noble fir seedling for $20. That's still too
expensive. Then I found packets of seeds for a few bucks. I'll go for
that.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.forestry
Lauren

wrote in message
oups.com...
I heard Noble Firs are really expensive (up to $750!), so I'd like to
grow my own. I am in southern California. Do they grow OK here? Do they
need a lot of water or any special care? How long does it take to grow
them to 3', 4', 6', and 7' tall? I found a kit for sale online where
they ship you one noble fir seedling for $20. That's still too
expensive. Then I found packets of seeds for a few bucks. I'll go for
that.

1) Noble fir Christmas trees are at the top end of the price scale, but
certainly not $750 or even anywhere close.

2) Look around, do you see any Noble firs growing wild in your neighborhood?
No? Then it probably won't be easy for you to grow any, will it?

Noble grow quite well in the Pacific Northwest, in higher elevations, not LA
or San Diego or Palm Springs.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.forestry
Stephen Henning

wrote:

I heard Noble Firs are really expensive (up to $750!), so I'd like to
grow my own. I am in southern California. Do they grow OK here? Do they
need a lot of water or any special care? How long does it take to grow
them to 3', 4', 6', and 7' tall? I found a kit for sale online where
they ship you one noble fir seedling for $20. That's still too
expensive. Then I found packets of seeds for a few bucks. I'll go for
that.

Christmas growers buy seedlings which have been transplanted and will
yield marketable trees in about 10 to 15 years. They are typically 5"
to 15" tall when planted. Such a source is Carino Nurseries in PA.
http://www.carinonurseries.com/spoffers.htm

As you can see, the transplanted seedlings are about $5 each. Christmas
tree farms buy them bare root in quantities of 1000s for about $1 each.

The Noble Fir is a true fir that grows at high elevations in the Cascade
Mountains in Oregon and Washington. They will not do well in Southern
California.

You could probably grow Fraser Fir or Grand Fir if you can irrigate it.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.forestry
geoff

Dear "Wizzer",

E-mail me directly and I'll give you some solid, professional advice
about your Christmas tree dilemma for free.

Geoff Kegerreis
Registered Forester
Timberline Forestry Consulting LLC
http://www.timberlineforestry.com