Old 04-01-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

Default Indoor hydrangea to outdoor?

I received a blooming hydrangea as a hostess gift, currently sitting in a
window getting as much light as it can. Can this plant be moved outdoors? I
figured either I could set it out on the porch and get it "hardened" a bit,
and then plant it; or I'd have to wait until spring.

I live in the Pacific NW, Sunset zone 5.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
nk.net
I received a blooming hydrangea as a hostess gift, currently
sitting in a window getting as much light as it can. Can this
plant
be moved outdoors? I figured either I could set it out on the
porch
and get it "hardened" a bit, and then plant it; or I'd have to
wait
until spring.
I live in the Pacific NW, Sunset zone 5.

It might survive. My Hydrangeas are just starting to bud out.
Watch out for slugs.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 06-01-2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
nk.net
I received a blooming hydrangea as a hostess gift, currently
sitting in a window getting as much light as it can. Can this plant
be moved outdoors? I figured either I could set it out on the porch
and get it "hardened" a bit, and then plant it; or I'd have to wait
until spring.
I live in the Pacific NW, Sunset zone 5.

It might survive.

It might survive if I plant it now?

Watch out for slugs.

Nothing like spending a nice wet spring morning, picking the slugs out of
the garden. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I put them all in a plastic bag
and then stick them in the freezer for a humane death. He says they don't
have two neurons to rub together, and I shouldn't be so merciful.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Travis M." wrote in message
> [...]
"Claire Petersky" wrote in
message
nk.net
[...]

shouldn't be so merciful.

Most florist forced plants that are normally outside plants do
not do well when planted out doors. On the other hand what have
you got to lose? It won't do well inside either.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 06-01-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
ronm

That was my thought a few years back, "what do I have to lose?". Hydrangea
has been blooming every year since. Was a blue one but now mostly pink due
to the acidity level.

"Travis M." wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

INDOOR AND OUTDOOR DECOR [email protected] Lawns 0 06-11-2003 05:02 AM
Indoor/outdoor? Dynamic Bonsai 0 25-09-2003 07:02 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Easy species for indoor/outdoor bonsai culture? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 01:55 AM
Easy species for indoor/outdoor bonsai culture? 257roberts Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 12:55 AM