Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
vincent p. norris

Default Tuberoous begonias made no tubers; Why?

Hi--I planted some pelleted seeds (from Seymour's)of Pin-up Flame
tuberous begonias last spring. They spent the summer in pots and
bloomed very well.

But when I tried to dig up thetubers, there weren't any.

Can anyone explain? What should I do differerntly this year?

Thanks. vince norris
Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

I don't know if the seed variety you planted was some variety of "non-stop"
tuberous begonias, but in my experience, those never produce usable tubers
by October and November, if the plants are bought in May from a nursery. I
suspect that they are bred for quick flower production and smaller flowers
than the varieties that form huge tubers and huge but sparser flowers.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Shaffer

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:17:10 -0800, "presley"
wrote:

I don't know if the seed variety you planted was some variety of "non-stop"
tuberous begonias, but in my experience, those never produce usable tubers
by October and November, if the plants are bought in May from a nursery.

Huh. In my experience, Non-Stop begonias are the only ones that
*have* produced tubers in one season -- unless my sources are
mis-identifying the varieties. I've had Riegers -- no tubers. Charm
-- no tubers.

[IMG] code is On

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Storing 4oclock tubers EBG Gardening 5 03-10-2003 03:32 AM
old bulbs / tubers Perksy Gardening 0 04-09-2003 03:02 AM
old bulbs / tubers Perksy Australia 0 01-09-2003 01:02 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM