Old 11-01-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
lbbss

Default Can I Trim over grown Tree in winter 1/3? Soft pine needles

I have two trees that have soft needles, but not sure what it is
called. Not sure how old they are, but they are taller then our
house. I would like to trim them by 1/3 but not sure if that is too
much. It a very mild winter (above freezing). Should I Waite
until it gets colder or cut now. And how much can I cut? thanks.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Alan Sung

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two trees that have soft needles, but not sure what it is
called. Not sure how old they are, but they are taller then our
house. I would like to trim them by 1/3 but not sure if that is too
much. It a very mild winter (above freezing). Should I Waite
until it gets colder or cut now. And how much can I cut? thanks.

Most likely a white pine. There's nothing wrong with a tree that is taller
than your house. Read the following:
http://www.plantamnesty.org/stoptopp...fertopping.htm

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

Old 12-01-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Doug Kanter

"lbbss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have two trees that have soft needles, but not sure what it is
called. Not sure how old they are, but they are taller then our
house. I would like to trim them by 1/3 but not sure if that is too
much. It a very mild winter (above freezing). Should I Waite
until it gets colder or cut now. And how much can I cut? thanks.

First, you'd better find out for sure what kind they are. Then explain HOW
you want to trim them. If you want to remove a few limbs from the bottom to
let more light in, that's one thing, and it's OK to do in winter. But, you
NEVER EVER trim the tops of pine trees. They will never regain their shape.
Our electric company contracts with some so-called "tree experts", who once
hacked the tops off some pines on a friend's property because they seemed
too close to the power lines. (They were not). The tree service's insurance
company paid dearly for this in court.

Don't do it.