Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Small Christmas pine tree in a box - shedding needles?

Hi All
I have a small living pine tree, from this Christmas. It seems that its
shedding needles REALLY fast on some of the branches, while it's
absolutely blooming on the top.

Should I be worried?

It is in a 200sq ft room, about 7ft away from the radiator and close to
a large balcony door (looking towards East so plenty of sunlight). I
water it every 7 days or so with about 2 pints of water

here is the tree (blooming top)
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7341/mg7518ll.jpg

Here are the branches loosing needles
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4361/mg7520ll.jpg

Thank you all!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Laki Topalovic" wrote
I have a small living pine tree, from this Christmas. It seems that its
shedding needles REALLY fast on some of the branches, while it's
absolutely blooming on the top.

Should I be worried?

It is in a 200sq ft room, about 7ft away from the radiator and close to a
large balcony door (looking towards East so plenty of sunlight). I water
it every 7 days or so with about 2 pints of water

here is the tree (blooming top)
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7341/mg7518ll.jpg

Here are the branches loosing needles
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4361/mg7520ll.jpg

That is an hardy tree so it's much too hot indoors for it at this time. That
said you can't just put it outside now it's got used to the heat. Find a
light and very cool place to put it where it won't get frosted and in the
late spring plant it outside. The bottom branches may well lose all their
needles but they will eventually drop off anyway as the tree grows.

They get large so chose your site carefully. Someone has planted one on a
bare roundabout out Windlesham way and it's doing quite well, been there for
a number of years and every year someone decorates it at Christmas.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5.3.2010. 19:26, Bob Hobden wrote:
d very cool place to put it where it won't get frosted and in the late
spring plant it outside. The bottom branches may well lose all their
needles but they will eventually drop off anyway as the tree grows.

They get large so chose your site carefully. Someon

Thank you Bob!

I am planning to either keep it in my back yard in the pot and have it
indoor next year, OR plant it in front of my building. Its a bit steep
so the drainage is good.

Cheers!
Alex