Old 13-01-2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Default warm spell

In the northeastern part of the country we had a beautiful warm day
thursday, it was amazing.
This gave me a day to some yard work that I did not get to lst time it
was this warm(november)
I now, am looking forward to spring which will not come fast enough.
Though the most snow that we have had in this area was about three
inches.
So we are probably due for some, though today may be my lucky day.
Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

Old 13-01-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Chuckie wrote:
In the northeastern part of the country we had a beautiful warm day
thursday, it was amazing.
This gave me a day to some yard work that I did not get to lst time it
was this warm(november)
I now, am looking forward to spring which will not come fast enough.
Though the most snow that we have had in this area was about three
inches.
So we are probably due for some, though today may be my lucky day.
Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

I am not so happy about these warm spells, especially the ones that come
later on. They throw all kinds of timings out of whack. Plants and
critters use both temperature and light levels to start their
spring-time reawakening processes. These two triggers have been pretty
well in synch, but are now becoming desynchronised, with increasingly
nasty effects. The further north you go, the worse it is, but the bad
effects are sowly but surely showing up further south.

Example: Last year (2004/05) and late-winter thaw lasted a few days too
long, thus stimulating my roses to wake up. Then we had the usual "real"
winter weather, so that I lost three roses. They were supposedly the
hardy ones, too. A less hardy tea rose survived, perhaps responds more
slowly to increased temperatures.

I don't think Zone 5 is "the frozen north", BTW. :-)
Old 13-01-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
Chuckie wrote:
[...]

Certainly true here. We've had really bizarrely warm weather through
parts of December and now into January. Above 60F repeatedly. I was out
adding mulch to some beds yesterday and found that I have many bulbs
sprouting along with the Hemerocallis. I'm thinking of taking a shot at
overseeding part of my rear lawn if this keeps up.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 13-01-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
axeman

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
Chuckie wrote:
[...]

I have peonies breaking through, as well as some crocus. I had the same
thought about overseeding!

Jacqui

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 13-01-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

axeman wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Chuckie wrote:

[...]

My rosemary is in bloom again today and I saw ground ivy in bllom yesterday.

Kate in Nashville, TN (not so warm right now though)

Old 13-01-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Oren

On 13 Jan 2006 05:37:51 -0800, "Chuckie"
wrote:

In the northeastern part of the country we had a beautiful warm day
thursday, it was amazing.
This gave me a day to some yard work that I did not get to lst time it
was this warm(november)
I now, am looking forward to spring which will not come fast enough.
Though the most snow that we have had in this area was about three
inches.
So we are probably due for some, though today may be my lucky day.
Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

Las Vegas has been on average 5-10 degrees above the norm for this
time of year. Spring is here, Ii can feel it. Got on a T-shirt.

I've had giant bird-of paradise flowers thrived and these were
planted in November. The one I had in a container from another house
had plenty of flowers. New 48" box queen palms (huge) are doing great.

I cored/aerated the lawn in December, threw out some seed that's
already up and doing fine, as is some sod plugs. My lawn is nearly
ready to mow.

Snow!? I see that over on top of the mountains. I have to check but I
think we are at the mid 60 degree point right now.

I'm still chilly because it is below 90 degrees....

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Old 14-01-2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

"axeman" wrote in message
. ..

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

I have peonies breaking through, as well as some crocus. I had the same
thought about overseeding!

Jacqui

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

the joke on John McGaw in Knoxville is we're currently getting
SNOW......................and it's 31o F, dropping tomorrow night into the
low 20's. And Jacqui, crocus come up early and then surprise you with their
little skirts of bright glistening colors........................my little
bulbs are poking out too. Can't wait to see who's survived from last year's
first plantings in the new bed.
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler (just about 29 miles from
Knoxvillegbseg) overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7,
sunset zone 36

Old 14-01-2006, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

"kate" wrote in message
My rosemary is in bloom again today and I saw ground ivy in bllom
yesterday.

Kate in Nashville, TN (not so warm right now though)

what part of Nashville, Kate? I grew up and lived a huge portion of my life
in Inglewood on Greenfield Avenue that leads down to Riverside and into
Shelby Park, one of my first ethereal experiences with yellow violets
madgardener

Old 14-01-2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

madgardener wrote:
"kate" wrote in message

My rosemary is in bloom again today and I saw ground ivy in bllom
yesterday.

Kate in Nashville, TN (not so warm right now though)

what part of Nashville, Kate? I grew up and lived a huge portion of my life
in Inglewood on Greenfield Avenue that leads down to Riverside and into
Shelby Park, one of my first ethereal experiences with yellow violets
madgardener

Woodbine, formerly known as Flat Rock, which is obvious come tilling
time. Close to the fairgrounds.

Kate

Old 15-01-2006, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

"kate" wrote in message

madgardener wrote:
"kate" wrote in message

My rosemary is in bloom again today and I saw ground ivy in bllom
yesterday.

Kate in Nashville, TN (not so warm right now though)

what part of Nashville, Kate? I grew up and lived a huge portion of my
life in Inglewood on Greenfield Avenue that leads down to Riverside and
into Shelby Park, one of my first ethereal experiences with yellow
violets ..................
madgardener

Woodbine, formerly known as Flat Rock, which is obvious come tilling time.
Close to the fairgrounds.

Kate

my second husband, father of my youngest son grew up in Woodbine!! Some
great memories there (along with the fairgrounds, as I'm old enough to
remember Fair Park fondly, and rode the wooden roller coaster the last year
it was open, met Janis Joplin back stage at the Women's Pavilion building
when she performed there back in the 1960's with Big Brother and the Holding
Company, and generally had a blast there until 1992 when I moved here in
Eastern Tennessee, boy are Eastern Tennessee folk a whole different breed of
cat from Middle Tennesseans.......LOL)

and man, do I miss REAL BLACK SOIL that I had in Inglewood, and took
forgranted. My folks grew up in Shelbyville/Columbia/Tulluhoma, so I know
the terrain where you live very well. Memories of trips every weekend down
31A is still etched in my brain, which is how I visit my mom who lives now
with her baby sister and hubby in Tulluhoma. It's just easier after visiting
my daughter who lives in Antioch to careen down Nolensville road and keep
going until I hit Tulluhoma.......g this year I am determined to find
Iris City Irises in Primm Springs. Their iris selections are to die for!!
( I get their catalog and spoken with their expert resident, and this year I
am making the trek to get Louisiana iris that are acclimated to Tennessee
and some Japanese iris.

madgardener