Old 13-01-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

Default Getty villa gardens

Folks:

At this URL

http://tinyurl.com/bd55h

in today's Los Angeles Times, there is a lovely story about the man
who helped create the plantings in this copy of a Herculaneum Villa,
on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California, and has continued to
maintain them.

Incidentally, J. Paul Getty whose $$ funded the Villa with its
gardens, never saw the place; he died in England w/o ever visiting the
place.

The Getty ((NOT the famous artt gallery up on the hill which was
built much later -- and which has its own garden folklore!) is finally
re-opening this month. When the "new" Getty was built, and the
collections were moved there, the Villa -- as the article explains --
was to hold Getty's collection of antiquities. But after two years of
renovations were completed, there was about a three-year delay in
re-opening, due to endless hassles with the neighbors about noise,
traffic, etc. c, etc.etc.

Hope you enjoy the story, and if in Calif. you visit the Villa.
If you stood up on the 2nd floor balcony and looked out toward the
Pacific Ocean, you could swear you WERE in Italy, looking out through
the Mediterranean plantings toward THAT ocean.

Persephone
Old 13-01-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Robert

I always liked the fact that I could get in free, but my car needed an
appointment and had to pay. Is it still that way?

You're right, though - a beautiful place.

Rob
Old 13-01-2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 06:41:58 -0800, Persephone wrote:

[...]

Oops - after I checked the newspaper story again, I saw my figures
were way off. It's been out of action altogether NINE years! Good
lord, where have they gone! g. It was supposed to re-open in 2002,
but didn't happen until 2006.

Old 13-01-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:05:15 GMT, Robert wrote:

I always liked the fact that I could get in free, but my car needed an
appointment and had to pay. Is it still that way?

You're right, though - a beautiful place.

Rob

I think so, but I'll find out and post. Yes, here's the Web site
for both Getties (Gettys?):

http://www.getty.edu/visit/

Problem for the Villa always was , and may still be, conflict with the
neighbors. You had to reserve parking in the Villa garage. You
could not just drive up and park in the (limited) garage and exterior
parking lots. There was and I assume is, absolutely NO street
parking. Visitors could be dropped off, or walk up. I used to just
take the bus; stops right in front, and return trip across PCH. Have
to know the schedule, though; not as frequent as city buses.

--

Persephone