Old 21-01-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
zxcvbob

Default Starting tomatoes (was May the Schwartz be with you......)

zxcvbob wrote:

Tomatoes grow so vigorously once they get 2 sets of leaves, I'm not sure
it matters much. I've used Peter's Professional potting soil and
Miracle Grow. They work. This year I might use just a mixture of
sphagnum moss and mason's sand. I have some cactus cuttings rooting in
that.

My tomatoes always get tall and spindly, but then I set them in post
holes (almost) with just the top few leaves sticking out.

How many aliases do you have? :-)

Bob

Just a clarification -- I meant Miracle Grow potting soil, not Miracle
Grow fertilizer.

Bob
Old 21-01-2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

Tomatoes grow so vigorously once they get 2 sets of leaves, I'm not sure
it matters much. I've used Peter's Professional potting soil and
Miracle Grow. They work. This year I might use just a mixture of
sphagnum moss and mason's sand. I have some cactus cuttings rooting in
that.

My tomatoes always get tall and spindly, but then I set them in post
holes (almost) with just the top few leaves sticking out.

How many aliases do you have? :-)

Bob

Just a clarification -- I meant Miracle Grow potting soil, not Miracle
Grow fertilizer.

Bob

So did I... :-)

Danke!

For fertilizers, I keep hearing really good things about HastaGro.

Any opinions on that stuff?

My biggest bitch about Miracle grow is it's terribly short duration.
--
Om.

Old 21-01-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
kate

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
kate wrote:

Tomatoes grow so vigorously once they get 2 sets of leaves, I'm not sure
it matters much. I've used Peter's Professional potting soil and
Miracle Grow. They work. This year I might use just a mixture of
sphagnum moss and mason's sand. I have some cactus cuttings rooting in
that.

I've been using a soilless germinating mix, mostly a mix of sphagnum
peat and vermiculite. I've used the ones from Peaceful Valley and
Gardeners Supply and they've worked too. (I'm getting the feeling
tomatoes aren't particular about the starting medium....)

Are you adding any fertilizer to that?
Sort of like doing hydroponics?

No fertilizer until they go into the ground. Then they get an organic
miracle grow type liquid and once more when they start to bloom.

I think they're fun to grow - I start them in 2" soil blocks and I've
been transplanting them into 3" peat pots. What do other people do?

Kate - inquiring minds and all that

Can't say. I've not tried 'maters from seed yet but want to. G
That's why I was asking.

This will only be my third year so that's why I'm asking too. g

Old 22-01-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Starting tomatoes

In article ,
kate wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
kate wrote:

[...]

You are still way ahead of me..... ;-)

I'd like to try some heirloom types, and I've never seen those in 6
packs at the garden centers!

Now that my sister and brother in law are planning on moving back to
Texas, I will grow 'maters again this year. I did not plant any last
year as I generally end up with too many.

I really REALLY need to try canning! Mom was an avid canner and taught
me the basics, but I never did it enough with her to really learn it. I
have a big, beautiful pressure canner that belonged to her, so there is
no need for the tomatoes to go to waste. I can do small batches if I
grow enough of them, and my sister would be delighted to share the crop
with me. G

She liked to come and steal some of the green ones off the vine for
fried green tomatoes when she lived in San Antonio!

And that was ok by me.......... :-)
--
Om.