Old 19-01-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
kate

Default May the Schwartz be with you......

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Let's see, who should get the 'cutsy' award for this forum. We can make up
big trophy and have a presentation ceremony. Right now, I think Cereus and
Alternate are running neck and neck.

Oh come on! The list was slow and won't pick up until spring planting
time. ;-) For those that have good sunny windows (and no cats), or
greenhouses, now is the time to start seeds!

I'm considering trying tomatoes from seed this year. I usually cheat and
buy started plants but they don't always have the varieties I want.

How many seeds should I put into, say, a 1" starter plug pot?

One tomato seed per pot, and plant a few extra pots in case some don't
come up or they damp off or get eaten by cats. You can usually give
away extra tomato plants.

Don't plant them too early. They start out slow, but then grow
tremendously fast and get difficult to manage.

Best regards,
Bob

So when would you recommend?
Here in Texas, I can usually stick them in the ground about the end of
March.

I've never tried from seed so don't know how fast they grow?

I've got plenty of 4" and 1 gallon pots to transplant if I have to. :-)

I've had good results starting them 5 or 6 weeks before they go in the
ground. Tomato seed is pretty reliable - if you plant 20 you're likely
to get 20.

Kate

Old 20-01-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Alternate Identity

Default Starting tomatoes (was May the Schwartz be with you......)

In article ,
kate wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

[...]

Cool! Thanks!
I need to look for Plum tomatoes. I LOVE those things!
Grow almost as prolific as sweet 100's but are more meaty IMHO.

I'd like to try Romas again this year as well.

I've not tried beefsteaks, ever, but mom and dad used to grow them in
California.
Old 20-01-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
zxcvbob

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
kate wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

[...]

I agree about the 5 or 6 weeks before setting them out. (at 3 weeks
you'll think you're a month behind, but then they start growing really fast)

"Better Boy" is a really good largish hybrid red tomato. "Principe
Borghese" is a great small tomato -- a little larger and beefier than
cherry tomatoes and perfect for dehydrating. Since you live in Central
Texas, you might look for "Porter" or "Improved Porter" (developed by
Porter and Sons seed company in Stephanville, TX) for a nice small
tomato that should do well regardless of the weather.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 20-01-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
kate

zxcvbob wrote:
Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
kate wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Let's see, who should get the 'cutsy' award for this forum. We
can make up a
[...]

I'm really enamoured with the First Lady tomato plant. Nice size
tomatoes, prolific and keeps going. I'm also growing Bradleys, Beefy
Boys and Roma's. (Or rather, I will be.)

Kate

Old 20-01-2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Gribbee

kate wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
kate wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

[...]

:-)

[...]

Are you saying the First Lady has nice size tomatoes, is prolific and
keeps going? I'd be enamoured with her too...

Old 20-01-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Alternate Identity

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Cool! Thanks!
I need to look for Plum tomatoes. I LOVE those things!
Grow almost as prolific as sweet 100's but are more meaty IMHO.

I'd like to try Romas again this year as well.

I've not tried beefsteaks, ever, but mom and dad used to grow them in
California.

I agree about the 5 or 6 weeks before setting them out. (at 3 weeks
you'll think you're a month behind, but then they start growing really fast)

"Better Boy" is a really good largish hybrid red tomato. "Principe
Borghese" is a great small tomato -- a little larger and beefier than
cherry tomatoes and perfect for dehydrating. Since you live in Central
Texas, you might look for "Porter" or "Improved Porter" (developed by
Porter and Sons seed company in Stephanville, TX) for a nice small
tomato that should do well regardless of the weather.

I had excellent luck with Better Boys last year... I bought them in 6
packs at Lowe's. G

What is the best "starter" soil for tomato seeds?
Just plain Miracle Grow?
Old 20-01-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Alternate Identity

In article ,
kate wrote:

I agree about the 5 or 6 weeks before setting them out. (at 3 weeks
you'll think you're a month behind, but then they start growing really
fast)

"Better Boy" is a really good largish hybrid red tomato. "Principe
Borghese" is a great small tomato -- a little larger and beefier than
cherry tomatoes and perfect for dehydrating. Since you live in Central
Texas, you might look for "Porter" or "Improved Porter" (developed by
Porter and Sons seed company in Stephanville, TX) for a nice small
tomato that should do well regardless of the weather.

I'm really enamoured with the First Lady tomato plant. Nice size
tomatoes, prolific and keeps going. I'm also growing Bradleys, Beefy
Boys and Roma's. (Or rather, I will be.)

Kate

I like the "meatiness" of Romas. Not tried those others.
I'll see what shows up around here.

I might put in one or two sweet 100's, simply because I have co-workers
that want them. G
Old 20-01-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Alternate Identity

In article ,
Gribbee wrote:

kate wrote:

I'm really enamoured with the First Lady tomato plant. Nice size
tomatoes, prolific and keeps going. I'm also growing Bradleys, Beefy
Boys and Roma's. (Or rather, I will be.)

Kate

Are you saying the First Lady has nice size tomatoes, is prolific and
keeps going? I'd be enamoured with her too...

snork

The thread just went downhill again...... ;-)
Old 20-01-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Cindy

I'm really enamoured with the First Lady tomato plant. Nice size
tomatoes, prolific and keeps going. I'm also growing Bradleys,
Beefy Boys and Roma's. (Or rather, I will be.)

Kate

I like the "meatiness" of Romas. Not tried those others.
I'll see what shows up around here.

I might put in one or two sweet 100's, simply because I have
co-workers that want them. G

Have you tried yellow pear tomatoes? I haven't had them for years, but my
mom used to grow them.

Old 20-01-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

I'm really enamoured with the First Lady tomato plant. Nice size
tomatoes, prolific and keeps going. I'm also growing Bradleys,
Beefy Boys and Roma's. (Or rather, I will be.)

Kate

I like the "meatiness" of Romas. Not tried those others.
I'll see what shows up around here.

I might put in one or two sweet 100's, simply because I have
co-workers that want them. G

Have you tried yellow pear tomatoes? I haven't had them for years, but my
mom used to grow them.

No, I have not, thanks!
I like to grow the small plum tomatoes which are similar.

(back to my normal ID since the other crossposts have been removed, and
we are back on topic. G)
--
Om.

Old 20-01-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
zxcvbob

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Tomatoes grow so vigorously once they get 2 sets of leaves, I'm not sure
it matters much. I've used Peter's Professional potting soil and
Miracle Grow. They work. This year I might use just a mixture of
sphagnum moss and mason's sand. I have some cactus cuttings rooting in
that.

My tomatoes always get tall and spindly, but then I set them in post
holes (almost) with just the top few leaves sticking out.

How many aliases do you have? :-)

Bob
Old 20-01-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

3 total, but I'm only using 2....... ;-)

I rarely, if ever, use the "katra" identity anymore.

I use Om pretty much exclusively, and Alternate Identity when "trolling"
crossposts.

I have a good reason for doing that based on some very bad past
experiences. I don't care if AI is killfiled.
--
Om.

Old 20-01-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

How many aliases do you have? :-)

Bob

Oh yeah, almost forgot about one other I very rarely use!

"trollhunter".

But that one is for special occasions. G

MT newswatcher is cool. There is a default ID, but there is also a pull
down window if you are using multiple identities for whatever reason.
--
Om.

Old 21-01-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
kate

zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

I've been using a soilless germinating mix, mostly a mix of sphagnum
peat and vermiculite. I've used the ones from Peaceful Valley and
Gardeners Supply and they've worked too. (I'm getting the feeling
tomatoes aren't particular about the starting medium....)

I think they're fun to grow - I start them in 2" soil blocks and I've
been transplanting them into 3" peat pots. What do other people do?

Kate - inquiring minds and all that

Old 21-01-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
kate wrote:

Tomatoes grow so vigorously once they get 2 sets of leaves, I'm not sure
it matters much. I've used Peter's Professional potting soil and
Miracle Grow. They work. This year I might use just a mixture of
sphagnum moss and mason's sand. I have some cactus cuttings rooting in
that.

I've been using a soilless germinating mix, mostly a mix of sphagnum
peat and vermiculite. I've used the ones from Peaceful Valley and
Gardeners Supply and they've worked too. (I'm getting the feeling
tomatoes aren't particular about the starting medium....)

Are you adding any fertilizer to that?
Sort of like doing hydroponics?

I think they're fun to grow - I start them in 2" soil blocks and I've
been transplanting them into 3" peat pots. What do other people do?

Kate - inquiring minds and all that

Can't say. I've not tried 'maters from seed yet but want to. G
That's why I was asking.

Thanks!
--
Om.