Old 24-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Ron Goodenow

Default Lupine seedlings

I got ambitious and got some lupine seedlings sprouting happily in a
coffee can under grow lights in a nice warm room.
When is it safe to put them out? Can they enduring some freezing? Or
should I wait till that is past? I live in Central Massachusetts, where
hard freezes are unlikely to appear after May 1.

Thanks!

Old 25-03-2003, 05:44 AM
B & J

"Ron Goodenow" wrote in message
I got ambitious and got some lupine seedlings sprouting happily in a
coffee can under grow lights in a nice warm room.
When is it safe to put them out? Can they enduring some freezing? Or
should I wait till that is past? I live in Central Massachusetts, where
hard freezes are unlikely to appear after May 1.

Thanks!

Lupines are a relatively hardy plants, but it would help if you identified
the type. My experience was with Russell hybrids in zone 3, where deep
winter snow provided enough cover to allow me to grow many zone 4+ items. I
frequently started various colored lupines inside but waited until night
temperatures remained above freezing in May before planting. Plants, even
frost hardy ones, may be too tender when started inside to tolerate frost.
(When they start sprouting from seeds on their own outside, the frost
doesn't seem to bother them.) As temperatures warm, you should move them
outside during the day and haul them back inside at night until danger of
frost has passed and then plant.

John

Old 25-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Jessica

I live in the Pacific Nortwest and have no idea what zone that is (I'm still
very new to all this). I sowed Lupine seeds a month ago during a fit of
spring fever (the weather was so nice). The very next day it frosted for the
first time in ages. Last weekend I looked where I had planted them and I
have some nice sprouts coming along!

"B & J" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

lupine seedlings higgledy Gardening 0 12-04-2006 02:02 AM
Tarwi - Pearl Lupine - Lupinus mutabilis briancady413 Permaculture 1 18-12-2004 05:11 PM
lupine seedlings vze1mk7d Gardening 1 14-05-2004 08:03 PM
Zuchini seedlings Tempus Fugitive Edible Gardening 4 30-03-2003 09:44 AM
Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Steve Payne Bonsai 0 04-03-2003 12:07 AM