Old 28-03-2003, 07:44 AM
vericaulk

Default Siberian Lavender

Does anyone here have any experience growing this stuff, and is it all
that the Sunday ads make it out to be? It's sold by the same people
who sell those Paulownia trees, I think, and they claim S. lavender is
resistant to all kinds of weather, blooms very profusely and thrives
on neglect, or something to that effect.
Old 28-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Vox Humana

"vericaulk" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone here have any experience growing this stuff, and is it all
that the Sunday ads make it out to be? It's sold by the same people
who sell those Paulownia trees, I think, and they claim S. lavender is
resistant to all kinds of weather, blooms very profusely and thrives
on neglect, or something to that effect.

This was the first item in a Google search on Siberian Lavender
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/champai...rs/020216.html

February 16, 2002
Beware of "Miracle Plants"
Catalogs and ads offer a utopia of fragrant flowers and vibrant veggies.
Each plant bigger, better and easier to grow than its counterparts.

As you are plant shopping keep in mind the secret language of the plant
people. A few examples include: "grows vigorously" which means it will
envelop your car overnight. "Unique fragrance" equals a smell that will peel
paint.

Do your homework and read the fine print. I know many people are not
familiar with botanic names, but that is the only way to know what you are
getting. Once you know the botanic name, even if you can't pronounce it, you
can find information about the plant. Botanic names are unique. Common names
can be very misleading.

A good example is an ad I saw recently in the newspaper. It was touting the
luxurious beauty and fragrance of Siberian lavender. I had never heard of
anything called Siberian lavender so I kept reading. The ad stated (with
lots of exclamation points) how Siberian lavender produces "thousands of
flowers"and has the "delicate scent of lavender perfume year after year."
Wow sounds pretty fantastic. I continued to look to find the botanic name.
In the minuscule fine print it said "Variety: perovskia atripliafolia"
(which I assume to be the misspelling of Perovskia atripicifolia) also known
as Russian sage. Russian sage is a nice perennial plant with silvery white
leaves and soft bluish-purple flowers held in loose spikes. However, even
from far away on a foggy day I doubt Russian sage would hold even a slight
resemblance to lavender. Russian sage does have a fragrance, but it's more
reminiscent of sage than of lavender.

As we all know if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is ... on our
shopping list. Sorry there are no miracle plants.

Or how about the grass that provides a great-looking lawn in sun or shade
requiring little mowing, watering, or fertilizing, regardless of how many
kids, dogs and ATVs play on it. Ads say such grasses exist, yet the
traditional grass species used in our area, Kentucky bluegrass, fine fescue,
or perennial ryegrass, don't fit these claims. Are there "miracle" grasses
out there? Unfortunately the ads don't always tell the whole story.

Bruce Spangenberg formerly with U of I Extension shares turfgrass examples
of so-called "miracle plants." Zoysiagrass is frequently promoted in
magazines or catalogs as very heat and drought tolerant, and creating a
vigorous lawn. This is true, but zoysiagrass is actually adapted for
southern locations and will be dormant for much of the season in most of
Illinois. In spring and fall when other lawns are nice and green,
zoysiagrass is usually straw colored.

Another grass advertised as needing little care, little water, and little
mowing is buffalograss. There is no question buffalograss is a very drought
tolerant North American native. However, buffalograss takes a long time to
get established thus allowing weeds to invade. Quality is very low for home
lawn use. Like zoysiagrass, buffalograss will be dormant for much of spring
and fall.

In our climate with plenty of moisture, buffalograss does not compete well
with weeds. However, research is being conducted to develop improved
varieties, so perhaps buffalograss will someday be a good choice for
Illinois lawns.

Other advertisements may promote super grass hybrids or mixes that will stay
green and grow very easily regardless of the situation. Once again, examine
the product closely. Many times inferior turfgrass species may be in the
mix, such as annual ryegrass.

Seek catalogs that give botanic names. Do some checking with your local
library or U of I Extension to see what plants are right for your area. It
may save you some frustration energy better used on the weather, insects,
and diseases.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
vericaulk

"Vox Humana" wrote in message ...

(snip)

God, thanks for the warning.

[IMG] code is On

Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
Daylilies and Siberian Iris zxcvbob Gardening 5 09-09-2003 02:42 PM
[IBC] Siberian Crab Dylan Blew Bonsai 1 30-05-2003 04:32 PM
Siberian Iris Gloria Gardening 3 27-05-2003 05:08 PM
Siberian tomatoes? poppy seeds Jan Flora Edible Gardening 2 31-03-2003 05:08 AM