Old 14-04-2003, 04:20 AM
John S. DeBoo

Default Climate & plant hardiness zones

Ok, now I'm really confused. Are these the same thing or are they
different? If not the same, what do each really mean.

TIA for your assistance.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 14-04-2003, 04:56 AM
JNJ

Ok, now I'm really confused. Are these the same thing or are they
different? If not the same, what do each really mean.

TIA for your assistance.

See my post on your other thread.

James

Old 14-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Iris Cohen

Are these the same thing or are they different?

Climate zones is a broad term, including heat, rainfall, sunlight, & other
factors. The Sunset zones could be called climate zones. Plant hardiness zones
are the same as USDA zones. They refer strictly to which plants will survive
the winter in different areas.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:47:43 -0400, "JNJ" wrote:

Ok, now I'm really confused. Are these the same thing or are they
different? If not the same, what do each really mean.

See my post on your other thread.

which has a reference that pretty much explains things clearly.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_seasonal...399487,00.html

I understand Sunset has expanded its standard gardening reference to
the rest (non-west) of the US -- Whoopee! I wonder if half.com has
it...

Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
julieandian lester

I'm fascinated by the discussion, even though USDA hardiness zones are not
all that useful in the Land of OZ, since the whole country fits into Zones
7-10. As people have said, this is about frost-hardiness, not climate types.
Arizona (the low bits) is pretty much like what we would call a semi-arid
climate. We distinguish climatic zones on the basis of temperature/rainfall
patterns. For example: hot summers, cool winters, winter rainfall max, dry
summers annual rainfall 20-30 inches (Mediterranean type such as Perth WA,
Adelaide SA)); hot wet summers, hot dry winters, around 60 inches allin
about 4 months over summer (Tropical - monsoonal like Darwin NT, Cairns
Qld); and hot summers, coolish winters with some morning frosts, rainfall
variable, 5-10 inches (semi a-arid, temperate continental, like Alice
Springs NT).
But - Cereoid-XXX has a point even if presented in a fairly cavalier
fashion - your own microclimate(s) could vary quite a lot from the average
and greatly widen your range of plant options. I live in the coldest city in
OZ - Canberra, which is cool temperate tableland country with frosts from
about May to September, but I grow some frost sensitive shrubs against a
darkish north-facing wall. I should translate into Northern Hemi-speak!-
that would be Nov to March and south-facing.
BTW, I'd be happy to share info on Australian plants with anyone whose
interested - in exchange for info on your local plants of interest
Cheers
Ian Lester

Cereoid-XXX wrote:

Who cares? The plant hardiness zones are only an estimation. Climate is

not
the same thing.

John S. DeBoo wrote in message
Ok, now I'm really confused. Are these the same thing or are they
different? If not the same, what do each really mean.

TIA for your assistance.

--
John S. DeBoo

--
John S. DeBoo

[IMG] code is On

change in hardiness zones due to global warming [email protected] Gardening 8 24-12-2006 10:30 AM
[IBC] Plant Hardiness Zones for Australia John & Lex Oldland Bonsai 0 31-05-2005 10:59 AM
Climate zones John S. DeBoo Gardening 4 14-04-2003 01:56 PM
Help w/seed planting climate zones robohop Gardening 2 03-04-2003 12:08 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM