Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
hedrew3

Default Morning glory vine

I have morning glory that's running rampant and I need to trim it.
What sort of tool is recommended?

Thanks
Old 30-03-2003, 07:32 AM
hedrew3

I was told it is morning glory, but I don't know for sure. They are
starting to get active, I live in Northern Carlifornia. Actually it's
my neighbor's, and it has crept across the fence about ten feet or so.
I need to control it somehow.
Old 30-03-2003, 08:20 AM
paghat

In article ,
(hedrew3) wrote:

I was told it is morning glory, but I don't know for sure. They are
starting to get active, I live in Northern Carlifornia. Actually it's
my neighbor's, and it has crept across the fence about ten feet or so.
I need to control it somehow.

"Nice" morning glories are annuals or tender perennials that in temperate
zones need a little babying to thrive. But wild perennial morning glory or
woodbine native of the Pacific Northwest & northern California is
aggressive to the highest degree. It will never be gotten rid of nor even
much controlled unless both you & your neighbor work on it every year. Any
little fragment of the root no matter how small WILL produce a new plant,
plus it seeds easily, & it travels both underground & above ground for
great distances. You could dig up its roots in your own yard repeatedly,
but new ones would reach in from next door if those aren't being rooted
out as well.

Fortunately I live on a hillside with gardens hemmed in by cliff on one
side, roads on two sides, alley on fourth side, so any woodbine morning
glories I end up with are strictly in my yard, so I'm in control of how
much effort goes into getting rid of it. I now have very little but it
does invariably reappear, & has to be weeded out persistently, because it
will come back at the first opportunity.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 30-03-2003, 08:56 PM
hedrew3

Well, right now, the main thing I am interested in is to find out what
kind of tool to use on the morning glory vine to keep it trimmed.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Old 31-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Sunflower

"hedrew3" wrote in message
om...
I have morning glory that's running rampant and I need to trim it.
What sort of tool is recommended?

Thanks

Flamethrower.

Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 AM