Old 25-02-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Monsanto and hybrid seeds {was: Don't buy from Gurneys]

Persephone wrote:

Perfect segue into the plight of poor Third World farmers who
used to save seek and replant each year -- until Monsanto starte
forcing them to buy "Terminator" seeds, genetically engineered
so they couldn't be saved and replanted.

Interested gardeners (and people with a world view) might
be interested in this cri de coeur on the subject, and might want
to send on to your Lists.

Persephone

Yup, this is an issue that my girfriend and I were discussing
just the other day. Hybridization and genetic manipulation for
the sole purpose of maintaining a monopoly can hardly be a good
thing for farmers or the greater public, particularly when it
puts our food supply at risk because of reduced genetic
diversity and potential genetic crossover to other plants.

Thad

Old 26-02-2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Don't buy from Gurneys

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Mel M Kelly wrote:
I can beat the 90 min. thing. We was looking for a handle for a roofing
brush and they never did find them. About 5 clerks said they knew they
had them but none could find them. They could find the brushes and the
roofing but no handles. Call me what you want but our local HD is a
joke. Even Wal-Mart has better service.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Sweet potatoes aren't grown from seeds, they're grown from "slips" and
those are transplanted. Vine cuttings work too as that's basically what
slips are. Doubt that sweet potatoes are a normal crop for Toronto,
they're normally grown much farther south.

George

I grew them very successfully in Rochester NY, right across the lake from
Toronto. He'll have no problem with them, unless deer attack the leaves, in
which case the potatoes will be more like fat carrots than the sweet
potatoes we see in grocery stores.

Old 26-02-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

There's a plant by the moon thing with all crops, if you look hard enough.
Consult a Wiccan. :-)

Mel M Kelly wrote:
I can beat the 90 min. thing. We was looking for a handle for a roofing
brush and they never did find them. About 5 clerks said they knew they
had them but none could find them. They could find the brushes and the
roofing but no handles. Call me what you want but our local HD is a
joke. Even Wal-Mart has better service.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 26-02-2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Kinky!

Suspiciously sounds like an excuse for making whoopee in the garden.

Mel M Kelly wrote:
I can beat the 90 min. thing. We was looking for a handle for a
roofing
brush and they never did find them. About 5 clerks said they knew they
had them but none could find them. They could find the brushes and the
roofing but no handles. Call me what you want but our local HD is a
joke. Even Wal-Mart has better service.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 27-02-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

An old friend of mine believed that if she dripped menstrual blood in her
garden, it would be a good thing. Wiccan thing.

. net...

Mel M Kelly wrote:
I can beat the 90 min. thing. We was looking for a handle for a
roofing
brush and they never did find them. About 5 clerks said they knew
they
had them but none could find them. They could find the brushes and
the
roofing but no handles. Call me what you want but our local HD is a
joke. Even Wal-Mart has better service.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 27-02-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Wiccan garden party?

How sad that is.

She sounds like a Debbie Downer, a real party pooper.

She must not get invited to any garden parties.

Mel M Kelly wrote:
I can beat the 90 min. thing. We was looking for a handle for a
roofing
brush and they never did find them. About 5 clerks said they knew
they
had them but none could find them. They could find the brushes and
the
roofing but no handles. Call me what you want but our local HD is a
joke. Even Wal-Mart has better service.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 27-02-2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Cereus-validus wrote:
She must not get invited to any garden parties.

LOL