Old 01-04-2003, 01:56 AM

Default What to do with dead fish?

Unfortunately today we discovered 6 large dead fish floating in the
pond. The ice is just melting so we assume it was lack of oxygen.
How can I dispose of them? In the compost or bury them around plants?

Lori
Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Bill Litchfield

wrote in message
Unfortunately today we discovered 6 large dead fish floating in the
pond. The ice is just melting so we assume it was lack of oxygen.
How can I dispose of them? In the compost or bury them around plants?

Lori

Fish gets awfully smelly in the compost pile, and is a varmint lure to boot.
However, they are great fertilizer buried about 18 inches deep around your
plants.

Regards,
Bill

Old 01-04-2003, 05:08 AM

Thank you. I thought I had heard that once but I wasn't sure.

Lori

Old 01-04-2003, 03:08 PM
clc

Send them to me and I'll put them in with my tomatoes when I plant them!
(Just kidding about sending them...) But hubby always freezes fish
carcasses after he filets just for that purpose in the spring.

Cheryl

Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM
DavesVideo

How can I dispose of them? In the compost or bury them around plants?

Don't know how true is the story I heard when I was a kid. Story goes that
Native Americans placed a dead fish in each hill of corn.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Old 01-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Unfortunately today we discovered 6 large dead fish floating in the pond.

How can I dispose of them? In the compost or bury them around plants?

Bury them very very deep. Otherwise any dogs from miles around will find them
and roll on them, and their owners will hate you forever.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)