Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 PM
TakeThisOut

Default Propogating Leyland Cypress...

How should I go about propogating Leyland Cypress? Would an actively growing
cutting take root with a little hormone and some juicy topsoil, or do new
plants only come from seeds/cones?

Thanks!

BTW- The muriatic acid bit on the seedlings didn't work - all I got was no
plants and melted cell packs!

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 02-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Pam

TakeThisOut wrote:

How should I go about propogating Leyland Cypress? Would an actively growing
cutting take root with a little hormone and some juicy topsoil, or do new
plants only come from seeds/cones?

Thanks!

BTW- The muriatic acid bit on the seedlings didn't work - all I got was no
plants and melted cell packs!

Leyland cuttings root pretty darn easily. Apparently summer cuttings 'take'
better and faster than late winter or spring. Keep the cuttings in a warm,
humid environment - should have rooting in 6-10 weeks.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 02-04-2003, 04:56 PM

TTO,

I have rooted several Leyland cypress cultivars and I would rate them as
not particularly hard to root, however I have always rooted them in the winter.
Winter rooting success is pretty high, around 60-70% rooted. I use a homemade
mist tent, a heating pad, Hormodin #2 and fluorescent lights 12on/12off.

I have not grown them from seed but I have grown hundreds of seedlings of
one parent of Leyland, Chamycyparis nootkatensis, and they are easy. Seeds do
require stratification but you will probably get some germination from seeds
that are harvested this time of the year even if not stratified.

--beeky

TakeThisOut wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Seek input on Leyland Cypress Lecher9000 Gardening 15 24-10-2004 10:43 AM
Leyland cypress turned brown-help! The Popovics Gardening 0 07-04-2003 02:08 AM
How do Leyland Cypress fare in Austin? Jer Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM