Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
John_john

Default A garden watering question

Anyone know what is the highest temperature water the roots of plants
can take without killing the plant ?

What I want to do is recycle wash water right from the machine to the
garden as the machine is pumping the wash water out. I would try
pumping water from the wash if its set on warm/cold but not pumping
onto the garden a hot/cold wash setting.

I'm just wondering if even a warm/cold setting is too warm for roots
to take. Ever try such a thing ??? Advice welcomed. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

John_john wrote:

Anyone know what is the highest temperature water the roots of plants
can take without killing the plant ?

What I want to do is recycle wash water right from the machine to the
garden as the machine is pumping the wash water out. I would try
pumping water from the wash if its set on warm/cold but not pumping
onto the garden a hot/cold wash setting.

I'm just wondering if even a warm/cold setting is too warm for roots
to take. Ever try such a thing ??? Advice welcomed. Thank you.

If you can stand putting your hand into the water it is unlikely to
damage the roots of plants used to temperate climates. To get to the
roots the water has to get through the top layers of soil and it will
transfer some of the heat to the soil in the process. If you dump all
the water in one spot, you could heat the soil to moderately high
temperatures, but you probably have 10 gallons or more in the washer and
it's not a good idea to put all the water in one spot (particularly
since most people do their washing in concentrated time intervals, e.g.
all on Mondays). What sort of distribution system are you planning?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 PM
JNJ

Anyone know what is the highest temperature water the roots of plants
can take without killing the plant ?

It varies.

What I want to do is recycle wash water right from the machine to the
garden as the machine is pumping the wash water out. I would try
pumping water from the wash if its set on warm/cold but not pumping
onto the garden a hot/cold wash setting.

I'm just wondering if even a warm/cold setting is too warm for roots
to take. Ever try such a thing ??? Advice welcomed. Thank you.

Depends on the plant -- some are more sensitive than others. I'd be more
concerned about what's in the water -- this is from your laundry machine,
correct? Soap detergents are not particularly friendly to most plants.

James

Old 04-04-2003, 11:44 AM
JStubbs358

WHile the theory sounds good in modern times many cities will fine you because
you are releasing untrated water into the water table and now (I've been
told)have all that soap and additives addedwithout tratment. not good for down
steram and SOMEONE is ALWAYS downstream.

What I want to do is recycle wash water right from the machine to the
garden as the machine is pumping the wash water out. I would try
pumping water from the wash if its set on warm/cold but not pumping
onto the garden a hot/cold wash setting.

I'm just wondering if even a warm/cold setting is too warm for roots
to take. Ever try such a thing ??? Advice welcomed. Thank you.

Depends on the plant -- some are more sensitive than others. I'd be more
concerned about what's in the water -- this is from your laundry machine,
correct? Soap detergents are not particularly friendly to most plants.

James

[IMG] code is On

Garden Door in Door County Wisconsin Garden Door 07 Garden Angel in Watering Can.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 31-07-2009 11:01 PM
watering question kate Gardening 6 23-04-2006 08:14 PM
watering question Boots Crofoot Lawns 10 11-09-2003 06:42 PM
Watering question Lattés Edible Gardening 7 25-07-2003 06:12 PM
A garden watering question John_john Gardening 0 04-04-2003 11:32 AM