Old 06-03-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default time to start lawn treatment?

Is it time to start treating a lawn in the Baltimore area? If so, what
treatment should be applied first?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 07-03-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
KCnRichmond

Well put Kanter.
Also if you bag during "weed" or "crabgrass" season you will get up most of
your seed from these mongrels.
Don't cut if grass is damp and sharpen your blades. Change direction
everytime you cut. (90 degrees from last week)
Also change to "Our waterways".

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
wrote in message
.net...
Is it time to start treating a lawn in the Baltimore area? If so, what
treatment should be applied first?

First? There's only one treatment you MIGHT need, and that's fertilizer
without pesticides or weed killers. If there's only one thing, then there
is nothing after "first". Adjust your mower to its highest setting and
leave it that way. A healthy lawn competes nicely with weeds. Your
waterways are screwed up enough. No need to add chemicals to them because
someone told you to.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Right: "Our". I said "your" thinking maybe he'd connect this issue with news
he should be seeing about what a mess the Chesapeake is these days.

"KCnRichmond" wrote in message
news
Well put Kanter.
Also if you bag during "weed" or "crabgrass" season you will get up most
of your seed from these mongrels.
Don't cut if grass is damp and sharpen your blades. Change direction
everytime you cut. (90 degrees from last week)
Also change to "Our waterways".

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
.net...

Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

We were able to bring back my mother's (RIP) lawn to glorious health with very
little. We started with corn gluten which provides both weed inhibitor and gentle
fertilizer. We then did need to use a weed killer, applied as a liquid just to spots
of weeds. Then we put a watering system on a timer. The mower is a mulching mower
which puts the chopped up green nutrients right back into the lawn. I dont think her
lawn ever looked as good as it did last summer. It WAS NOT weed free. But it looked
so good, healthy, green that the few weeds just dont matter.
Ingrid

wrote in message
t.net...
Is it time to start treating a lawn in the Baltimore area? If so, what
treatment should be applied first?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

wrote in message
We were able to bring back my mother's (RIP) lawn to glorious health with

very
little. We started with corn gluten which provides both weed inhibitor

and gentle
fertilizer. We then did need to use a weed killer, applied as a liquid

just to spots
of weeds. Then we put a watering system on a timer. The mower is a

mulching mower
which puts the chopped up green nutrients right back into the lawn. I

dont think her
lawn ever looked as good as it did last summer. It WAS NOT weed free.

But it looked
so good, healthy, green that the few weeds just dont matter.
Ingrid

wrote in message
t.net...
Is it time to start treating a lawn in the Baltimore area? If so, what
treatment should be applied first?

I used a general purpose turf spray on my lawns for the first couple of
years to knock back hard years of lawn negligence (previous owners). It did
thin out the weeds dramatically however the more I learnt the more reluctant
I have become to using these sprays. My experience of a weed and feed type
spray was that I may as well have used cold instant coffee, such was the
variable result. Turf spray also didn't control the couch and crab grass. I
got stuck in to those *******s with roundup. My preference now however is to
simply crown the weeds/grasses with a knife or pull them out by hand. It is
quite labour intensive however over time even the hardiest of weeds seem to
give up and accept they ain't growing in the lawn. I have not noticed any
regrowth of couch in areas I have crowned over the last 3 years. I repeat
however that it is quite labour intensive.

rob

Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

Corn gluten meal is the safe way to go for pre-emergent protection
against broadleaf weeds.
There are also many hand tools that can make the job easier when the
undesirable plants appear.
All types of weed control solutions are available, including weed
control advice at the World of Weeds www.ergonica.com.