Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachel

Default Care of hellebore seedlings

I've searched the web on this and found various recommendations, but not
real clarity on what is to be done and when.

I have a nice Helleborus foetidissimus plant by the doorstep. Mindful of how
poorly hellebore seeds handle (and not having time to fuss over them), last
year I let it go to seed and just dropped the flower-stalk next to the
plant. Now (just as it's come into bloom for this year, in Zone 6), there
are a couple of dozen two-leaf seedlings coming up, all close together where
the stalk was. My questions a do I let them grow for a while where they
are? how long? do I thin them? or, can I keep all of them by digging up the
clump and carefully separating - when? I have plenty of places to put them,
but would like them to survive. So the objective is to separate/transplant
them when survival chances are optimal. I understand they don't transplant
well. But they are very crowded.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"Rachel" wrote:

[...]

I transplanted them (Helleborus seedlings) when they were 4 inches
tall. Which was about the time I noticed them. Placed them in a row in
a special place which meant not to weed without attention. Three years
latter they are about 9 inchs high but are 6 inches wide. Funny but no
seedings since then. Have about a dozen. Good gifts in time!

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500