Old 12-03-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
sarab

Default daffodil blooms that never open fully

i have a few daffodils in my garden that always get to that 'almost
open' stage, then the blooms never open. It's as if the blooms are too
heavy and their heads droop over. Any ideas?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On 12 Mar 2006 07:01:14 -0800, "sarab" wrote:

i have a few daffodils in my garden that always get to that 'almost
open' stage, then the blooms never open. It's as if the blooms are too
heavy and their heads droop over. Any ideas?

There may be moisture issues. Work in some bone meal for stronger
plants.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

sarab wrote:
i have a few daffodils in my garden that always get to that 'almost
open' stage, then the blooms never open. It's as if the blooms are too
heavy and their heads droop over. Any ideas?

I have this problem with 'Paper White'. The buds die just before
opening. Or they open to very stunted, deformed flowers. I have been
told that it is too much shade, too little shade, not enough water, not
enough fertilizer, etc, etc.

All my others seem to do very well, even the 'Mount Hood' growing right
next to the 'Paper White'. Some have been blooming every year for over
20 years. Thus, I doubt all the suggestions. I think it is that the
variety is not suited to my climate.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean