Old 24-03-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ima Googler

Default Tips for planting shrubs? (how to avoid air space on roots etc)

I'm in the process of planting 15 (2ft) Needlepoint Holly bushes.
I've dug my holes about as deep as their original pot and twice as
wide. I have soil amendments to mix in with the dirt that came out of
the holes. Everything I've read says that you are not supposed to
push the dirt down around the plant, ie: don't stomp on it afterwards.
If I can't tamp the dirt around the plant, how do I make sure there
are no air pockets around the roots. Will a thorough watering get rid
of any open spots around the roots?

Any other tips for better plantings?

Thanks!

Old 24-03-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Miklos

Ima Googler wrote:
I'm in the process of planting 15 (2ft) Needlepoint Holly bushes.
I've dug my holes about as deep as their original pot and twice as
wide. I have soil amendments to mix in with the dirt that came out of
the holes. Everything I've read says that you are not supposed to
push the dirt down around the plant, ie: don't stomp on it afterwards.
If I can't tamp the dirt around the plant, how do I make sure there
are no air pockets around the roots. Will a thorough watering get rid
of any open spots around the roots?

I've never read any directions like that? Push the dirt down with your
hands just enough to get rid of air pockets. Do not stomp it down with
your feet.

Tony

Old 25-03-2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

I am beginning to use same technique for potted plants the experts use for water
lilies. I dig the hole, I put in the super phosphate for root growth, I fill the
hole with the dirt then add water to make a slurry, and then I push the plant down
into the muck sorta twisting it in. then I come back after the water has drained and
add more soil and make the well for watering the plant.
Ingrid

"Ima Googler" wrote:

I'm in the process of planting 15 (2ft) Needlepoint Holly bushes.
I've dug my holes about as deep as their original pot and twice as
wide. I have soil amendments to mix in with the dirt that came out of
the holes. Everything I've read says that you are not supposed to
push the dirt down around the plant, ie: don't stomp on it afterwards.
If I can't tamp the dirt around the plant, how do I make sure there
are no air pockets around the roots. Will a thorough watering get rid
of any open spots around the roots?

Any other tips for better plantings?

Thanks!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 30-03-2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
RR

Yep, water them in.

As to the soil amendments you plan to add -- I'm not sure exactly what you
have in mind, but if it's "better" soil than the existing soil, make sure
you don't add more than 1 part "better" to 3 parts existing. And be sure to
mix the 2 together rather than layer them.

Suzy O, Wis., Zone 5

oups.com...