Old 03-04-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
jeffrey lohn

Default Help! Thumb not green

Help! for 2 summers in a row we have tried to plant grass in a part of
our tiny tiny urban backyard(Manhattan, NYC)... we're talking about a
"lawn" of apprx 120 sq. feet. The first time we tried seeds.. that didnt
work... squirrels seemed to dig up much of what we planted. so last year
we tried sod.. but that didn't work either... it slowly kind of
disappeared.. and/or browned out... and squirrels also dug in the sod.
Any suggestions for our 3rd try will be greatly appreciated (the area
gets roughly half day of direct sun and half day of moderate shade)
Old 04-04-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
cardarch

If squirrels are your main complaint, why not get a havaheart squirrel
trap and transport them to central park?

Old 06-04-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
jtill

Dwayne gave good advice. You may also inquire what your neighbors are
growing. Maybe you had the wrong seed. Sodding is a quick method but
again, it will take constant attention to keep it damp during dry hot
days. The most important is to have the right seed or sod. Stores here,
Houston TX., sell tons of seed not suitable for this clime!
Joe T
Houston
Note, Water in the morning, grass doesn't grow after dark.