Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
monmark

Default butterfly gardens

hello I'm new to this whole gwrden thing and I was wondering if there
is anyone who could tell me anything about butterfly gardens.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"monmark" wrote in message
oups.com
hello I'm new to this whole gwrden thing and I was wondering if
there is anyone who could tell me anything about butterfly
gardens.

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...misc/ef006.htm
http://www.thebutterflysite.com/gardening.shtml
http://www.monarchwatch.org/garden/index.htm

Google goes on and on.

Google is your friend.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

monmark wrote:
hello I'm new to this whole gwrden thing and I was wondering if there
is anyone who could tell me anything about butterfly gardens.

Try looking for info at your local library. You should be able to find
some books dedicated to butterfly gardens and just gardening in
general. Nothing beats the good old library for comprehensive
information.

-Felder

Old 10-04-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Devonshire

On the day of 9 Apr 2006 15:17:14 -0700...
"monmark"
typed these letters:

hello I'm new to this whole gwrden thing and I was wondering if there
is anyone who could tell me anything about butterfly gardens.

I don't know anything about "Butterfly Gardens". If the purpose
is to attract Butterflies, look into a butterfly bush (Buddleja
davidii). If space is a concern... Butterfly bushes can become
quite unruly.

Look into Milkweed if you want Monarch butterflies. Monarch
butterflies lay their eggs only on milkweed leaves.

These plants thrive and attract butterflies in central North Carolina.
I don't know about the rest of the world. Do a little research on
growing these plants in your area.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
permafrog

Greetings, in order to attract and keep butterflies on your site you
need to plant both
nectar and host plants, thereby, providing both food and shelter.

There is a free butterfly online garden course located here.

http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/18624/seminar

Bob

Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
J.R. in MI

I cut mine to the ground each spring. They grow to around 4'x4' then.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
morninglori

What do you need to know? I am in the middle of planting mine down here
in Texas and have done tons of research on what the butterfiles and
hummers like. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Old 14-04-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
J.R. in MI

I was referring to cutting down my butterfly bushes. How do you show
the quote you are responding to?