Old 14-04-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Default Q for madgardener Cornus mas

My cherry tree died last year. I'm thinking about replacing it with a
cornelian cherry because Wife wants something with some fall color. You
posted a couple of years ago that your Cornus mas was blooming too early
(mid January). Did it set fruit that year or get blasted?

How quickly do these trees grow, and is the fruit any good? There's a
nursery in Oregon that sells large-fruited named varieties, but I'll
probably just go with whatever seedlings they sell at the local nursery.

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob, in zone 4
Old 14-04-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
My cherry tree died last year. I'm thinking about replacing it with a
cornelian cherry because Wife wants something with some fall color. You
posted a couple of years ago that your Cornus mas was blooming too early
(mid January). Did it set fruit that year or get blasted?

it did set fruit. (where are you at Bob??

How quickly do these trees grow, and is the fruit any good?

well in eleven years a twig that was in a four inch pot grew to 17-18
foot.........and the "cherries" are good!
they grow faster than most dogwoods they are the first thing to bloom around
here before the forsythia's, and the flowers are awesome (I'll send you a
picture of her in full bloom if you'd like, or post it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens)
There's a
nursery in Oregon that sells large-fruited named varieties, but I'll
probably just go with whatever seedlings they sell at the local nursery.

go for a nice size tree if you can...........I happened across mine at a
nursery that is now closed up and gone. He called it a Twig leaf
dogwood............but it IS Cornus mas........
yer welcome
madgardener

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob, in zone 4

Old 14-04-2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Default Cornus mas

madgardener wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

[...]

I'm in southern Minnesota, about 100 miles south of Minneapolis. I just
checked the local nurseries today and they don't have any dogwoods
except the red-twigged shrubby kind that grows wild around here. I
don't know what it's called but it's hardy to zone 3 and almost zone 2.

I called that nursery in Oregon and they said their plants are bare-root
and about 18 inches, for almost $30 plus shipping. (I'd much rather get
a 3 or 4 foot tree.) They said the plants are hardy down to -30° F, but
what I read on the Internet says -25° F. That 5 degrees makes a big
difference here, so maybe I should look for something else.

Thanks again,
Bob