Old 15-04-2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default Rotten parsley

My bed of parsley is doing really well except now and then a plant dies over
a period of a week or two. The roots turn to mush and then the leaves
wither and turn yellow. I reckon it's a fungus attacking the roots.

The question is: what sort of fungus is it and how do I deal with it?

David

Old 15-04-2006, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
My bed of parsley is doing really well except now and then a plant dies
over
a period of a week or two. The roots turn to mush and then the leaves
wither and turn yellow. I reckon it's a fungus attacking the roots.

The question is: what sort of fungus is it and how do I deal with it?

David

Where do you live? Are these plants that've been in the ground since last
summer, or new ones you installed this season? Describe the growing
conditions (shade, sun, etc) and what your weather's been like.

Old 15-04-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

David:

If you`re absolutely sure it`s a fungus and it`s not due to
overwatering, clayey soil, etc. - I have to say it sounds like a fungus
that I`m especially familiar with, especially due to the conditions you
describe. The `every now and then a plant dies over a period of a week
or two` statement kind of clinches it for me.

It sounds a lot like Pythium root rot, although it could also be
rhizoctonia, but Pythium is more likely since it`s usually confined to
one or two plants in soil-based systems such as gardens.

A solution? There are several. 1) You can make sure your plants
aren`t unduly stressed.

2) Don`t overwater, especially if you have a lot of clay in your soil
(in a soil environment, the pathogen spreads quite easily in
water-logged soils which create surface water conditions, especially in
poorly drained soils containing clay, which is why I pointed out clayey
soils... natch).

3) Look for the ingredients metalaxyl or agral or any kind of
surfactant (any chemical which breaks down the surface tension of water
- even a bit of soapy water (made with biodegradable soap, of course!))
in any pesticide from Canadian Tire or Home Hardware or whatever
gardening store is close by - this item sprayed onto the soil surface
around the affected area (NOT everywhere in your garden, and always on
the soil surface, as the ingredients could potentially stress your
plants, making them even more susceptible to infection... plus, I`m
sure you`d like to ensure you`re not munching down on a healthy dose of
pesticides!) every two days (or according to directions on the label)
could do the trick in preventing it from spreading to other plants.

Please feel free to go to my website at
http://www.GCILifeSciences.blogspot.com - my other discussion groups
are listed there, and every now and then, you might find information
relavant to your gardens!

Old 15-04-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

I looked at your website and found that you are expert in agricultural
science, especially pathology. So I am going to post a question about
asters and fusarium, a question to which I have been seeking an answer for
years. I'll be pleased if you reply to it.

Andrew

wrote in message
oups.com...
David:

Old 16-04-2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
David:

If you`re absolutely sure it`s a fungus and it`s not due to
overwatering, clayey soil, etc. - I have to say it sounds like a fungus
that I`m especially familiar with, especially due to the conditions you
describe. The `every now and then a plant dies over a period of a week
or two` statement kind of clinches it for me.

The base soil is heavy clay-silt but it is improved with a fair bit of
organic matter and gypsum, and the beds are built up about 15in. It has
been very dry here and I have been hand watering about every 4-5 days. The
parsley is part of one bed of a large vege garden that has been producing a
variety of veges very well through summer and autumn and not showing any
other signs of over wetness.

It sounds a lot like Pythium root rot, although it could also be
rhizoctonia, but Pythium is more likely since it`s usually confined to
one or two plants in soil-based systems such as gardens.

A solution? There are several. 1) You can make sure your plants
aren`t unduly stressed.

The parsley has not got to wilting point due to dryness and I am careful
with water as I have to pump it up from the river and hold the hose, no way
I can just turn on a sprinkler and forget it!.

2) Don`t overwater, especially if you have a lot of clay in your soil
(in a soil environment, the pathogen spreads quite easily in
water-logged soils which create surface water conditions, especially in
poorly drained soils containing clay, which is why I pointed out clayey
soils... natch).

The applied water soaks in quite quickly, even when it rains quite hard
(when it does rain which hasn't been often lately) the garden drains off
surface water in about half an hour. For a heavy soil it is in pretty good
shape.

3) Look for the ingredients metalaxyl or agral or any kind of
surfactant (any chemical which breaks down the surface tension of water
- even a bit of soapy water (made with biodegradable soap, of course!))
in any pesticide from Canadian Tire or Home Hardware or whatever
gardening store is close by - this item sprayed onto the soil surface
around the affected area (NOT everywhere in your garden, and always on
the soil surface, as the ingredients could potentially stress your
plants, making them even more susceptible to infection... plus, I`m
sure you`d like to ensure you`re not munching down on a healthy dose of
pesticides!) every two days (or according to directions on the label)
could do the trick in preventing it from spreading to other plants.

I think I will have to try such a fungicide, we are coming to the end of the
growing season here and if the parsley keeps pegging I will have none for
winter or early spring.

Please feel free to go to my website at
http://www.GCILifeSciences.blogspot.com - my other discussion groups
are listed there, and every now and then, you might find information
relavant to your gardens!

thanks for the info

David