Old 18-04-2006, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weeping Willow - Too Close??

I recently planted two weeping willows in my back yard. I originally
had them about 55 to 60 ft apart - but my girlfriend insisted they go
closer becaused they looked "odd" so far apart. I tried to explain to
her how big they get, but she ended up talking me into going closer.
They are now 45 ft apart. Is this too close? If you have to guess,
how many years until they are touching? From the below picture, do you
think 45 is far enough? I really only plan on living here another 10
years max - so I figured they couldn't get too out of control by then -
right? Let me know what you think:

http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/65037495-L.jpg

Old 24-04-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can everyone see the pictures at the below link?

wrote:
I recently planted two weeping willows in my back yard. I originally
had them about 55 to 60 ft apart - but my girlfriend insisted they go
closer becaused they looked "odd" so far apart. I tried to explain to
her how big they get, but she ended up talking me into going closer.
They are now 45 ft apart. Is this too close? If you have to guess,
how many years until they are touching? From the below picture, do you
think 45 is far enough? I really only plan on living here another 10
years max - so I figured they couldn't get too out of control by then -
right? Let me know what you think:

http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/65037495-L.jpg

Your girlfriend is a silly person. If she thinks 10 or 15 feet make a
difference in terms of how odd those little trees look, she should have her
eyes checked, and never EVER consider a career in art or landscape design.
***ALL*** small, newly planted trees look weird, no matter how you place
them.

If your yard is moist, which is what weeping willows love, they'll be big
enough in 10 years that you'll probably have to cut one down.

Old 26-04-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

What?

Old 28-04-2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

This is the "silly person" you were talking about and you know what?
You're a jerk. You don't know me in the slightest bit to call me a
silly person. Eric (utseay) was not asking what kind of person I am,
he was asking a question about trees. I have my opinions on the issue,
which are very valid and you have no right to make assumptions on what
kind of person I am and what career I should be pursuing . I actually
AM pursuing a career in design, so I know a little bit about what I'm
talking about with layouts. I don't care how friekin big a willow
gets, we would not be able to enjoy the space that is created between
the willows at all by the time he sells this house years down the road.
I understand that *********ALL************* small, newly planted trees
look weird, no matter how you place them, BUT that's not the point.
Besides, the DIRECTIONS say 45 feet apart is fine. Obviously you
didn't write the directions, although it sounds like you think you
should've. Long story short... get a life besides criticizing random
people om message boards, thanks.

PS Oh and I have 20/20 vision.
PPS Go screw yourself. maybe you won't be so miserable.

Old 30-04-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

wrote:
[...]

Good for you, my dear. Good for you. I'm pleased that you're taking up a
career in design. Soon, you may understand that design isn't just a
spatial thing. It concerns me, however, that you may fail to internalize
any concept at all of the impact your actions have on posterity. You
need greater understanding of the future other than how *you* might be
effected by it.

Willows can reach monstrous size quite quickly, but in the event that
they don't they certainly will by the time "Eric" sells the house.
Correct? So, it doesn't matter how close the trees are to Eric, correct?
Or to you either, correct?

Might it make a difference to the people who Eric is counting on to buy
the house? Yes indeed, especially if they find themselves with crowding
trees and perilous/damaging overhangs and the possibility of having to
take one or both of them down.

Big whippy, you say? You would.

PS Oh, and your 20/20 vision? It'll be gone in less than twenty years.
Thought you should know. DAMN that future!
PPS I think anyone compelled to screw him or herself *would* be
miserable, so your logic fails on that point. You may need a good screw,
though (or someone close to you).

discuss
Old 30-04-2006, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

This is Eric - this conversation went in a totally different direction
than intended. I justed inquired about willows. I saw two 15 year old
willows at my work that are less than 45 ft apart - they look good.
I"ll post a pic later - thanks for the hlp!